[Closed] Vrat 1.0 Test migration to temporary site

27 Posts
8 Users
12 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

The old legacy PHPbb3 Vrat 1.0 forum at www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk that opened in 2011, has today finally been removed from active service as it has now been migrated to a temporary site.

If you try to go to the old forum location you will be redirected to its reincarnation which is www.vrat.co.uk.

Note: The full migration has now taken place, more news and details to be found here 

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 18/09/2018 4:05 pm
PYE625, Red_to_Black, PYE625 and 3 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Sounds like a bit of a gruelling marathon, but also sounds like you've got the better of now. It's going to be a bit strange, being able to access those old threads again....

?

Posted : 18/09/2018 7:15 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Marion,

after three hours and no comments, I thought folk were mightily disinterested.

Yes its been quite a lot of work and motivation to complete the task very much lacking. Once I had completed the data and account alignment and rationalisation with Vrat 2, it was just a case of waiting for the developers to complete the tool which they did today.

Members should find they can login at vrat 1 using the same username or e-mail they had here as we went through the alignment exercise earlier in the year to ensure vrat accounts matched vrat 2 accounts.  However I do not know what members vrat 1 password will be, it should be what they used on vrat 1 NOT their vrat 2.0 password. Easiest thing to do if you're unsure is use the vrat 1 reset password link on the login page.

Posted : 18/09/2018 7:28 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Chris,

I certainly wouldn't envy you on the task, and I take my hat off to you in your perseverance. Bringing everything under one roof has definitely got to be the right move, and will make things so much the easier for for the membership in general.

I am tempted to ask, what happens if a member muffed it in their attempts to log in at Vrat 1.0? Is there a get out of jail card? Logically, and as you say, it would be better to change the password if a member forgets their password.

Now, watch me go and make a bog-up of it!

Posted : 18/09/2018 7:55 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

First thing a member should do is check their account exists by searching the vrat 1 member list. Once they are sure their account is there, try logging in with the password they had at vrat 1.

If the password attempt fails, I would use the reset password link.

If all fails and a member gets locked out they should contact me here, I can set it a pre-arranged value and then they can change it once logged into vrat 1 themselves.

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:00 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Ah, before I venture any further,

Is this just me, my browser, or Vrat 1.0? - On attempting to log-in I'm getting a security warning.

2017 04 21 23 52 53 ba340d

So I decided not to enter my details.....

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:07 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Yes that's because I've not enabled https on the vrat.co.uk. Up until all the browsers made a big thing of it, you would never have normally worried about it for a forum.

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:10 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Okay,

I'll step up to the plate and take the plunge... ? 

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:13 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Had to reset my password now logged in, are we able to post in the vrat1 forum now? 

I am being a bit dense but I thought this was going to be read only until you get chance to merge the data bases. If it’s read only is there a need to log in?

Frank

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:15 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: Nuvistor

Had to reset my password now logged in, are we able to post in the vrat1 forum now? 

I am being a bit dense but I thought this was going to be read only until you get chance to merge the data bases. If it’s read only is there a need to log in?

Hi Frank, 

I was only looking for folk to help test, see if they can login, and things were looking OK as its a lot for one person to do on his own. I wasn't expecting folk to start posting. Yes I will be making it read only shortly, just not got around to that part yet, I did make sure no new registrations were allowed.

I can see that you Marc and Marion have now logged on.

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:20 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Is there a way I can change the colour scheme of vrat1?  With them both being virtually the same I can see me getting confused, I know my daughter tells me it’s my age. ? 

Frank

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:24 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Okay....

Likewise, I needed to reset my password too. my old password didn't work, and there were only ever two versions of it. Neither one would work, however, the reset was dead easy, so I'd suggest that if any members have any doubts at all about their passwords, change it anyway - you can reassert your old password as new if you so wish.

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:24 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Hi Chris,

By 'eck those old posts bring back some memories, cheers Chris.  ? 

Out of curiosity will VRAT 1 photo attachments become available eventually ?

PS, like others I had to reset my password too.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:28 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: Nuvistor

Is there a way I can change the colour scheme of vrat1?  With them both being virtually the same I can see me getting confused.

Hi Frank, short answer is no, you cannot change the colour scheme its not user definable. As you just pointed out its only temporary until I figure out merging and its read only which should be the biggest clue as to where you are and the header images are different  ? 

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:30 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: Marc

Hi Chris,

By 'eck those old posts bring back some memories, cheers Chris.  ? 

Out of curiosity will VRAT 1 photo attachments become available eventually ?

PS, like others I had to reset my password too.

I was wondering about those attachments too, but Marc beat me to it!

So anyway, it's a step closer, and things do seem to work without too much trouble, so;

Well done Chris, on a superlative exercise so far. ? 

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:37 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

OK Chris, it does seem to be working OK apart from the attachments Marc mentioned.

Frank

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:38 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Three members logged in, and twenty three guests! - I'd guess there are some just waiting to dip their toes in the water..... ? 

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:42 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I now see attachments....!

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:47 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

Chris, that's great now, a real blast from the past in glorious colour and monochrome too  ? 

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:50 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

I've fixed the attachments, they should all be working now, they were my biggest worry as I had over 24,000 attachments.

Just so everyone is aware vrat 1 is a staging platform, its purpose two-fold.

1. Whilst I migrate to continue providing vrat 1 information to its use base, many people use its archived information.
  2. To align vrat 1 architecture to vrat 2 architecture so the two can merge and reunify

Today I've achieved the biggest part, aligned vrat 1 with vrat 2. 

The final part will be to merge the two into one. I'm not sure how I go about this yet and I'm seeking advice but now the two systems are running on the same software and data structure, it should be a lot easier than when they were not.

Once the two are merged the new temporary vrat 1 site at vrat,co.uk will close. Both radios-tv.co.uk and vrat.co.uk will then point to the one unified system Vrat no 1 or 2 just, vrat

I need a break now as my head is about to melt 

Posted : 18/09/2018 8:52 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: