Suggestion Hedgehog Mk.1 minor upgrade

6 Posts
4 Users
16 Likes
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Just thought I’d see what the team think of this, I have been using one of my Hedghog standards converters with my TV22 whilst reviving it and couldn’t help notice the amount of heat given off by the regulator, a simple 7805 jobbie, and after reading Chris’ thread about his Owon bench multimeter I decided I might try one of those little 7805 switch mode replacements. I got 5 of them and they arrived yesterday, so today I set about testing one, firstly to make sure it was outputting 5V (it is) and also to see if it was noisy in any way.

On the scope there is a little noise, and loading up the regulator makes it drop significantly, so I was happy enough to try it in the Hedghog.

So far so good! there is an audible noise coming from the regulator, a faint sort of hiss noise, the Hedghog doesn’t seem to be protesting in any way yet, and the picture on the TV22 looks the same as it did before, no patterning and nothing obvious on the audio.

So can anyone see any reason not to fit one of these in place of the good old 7805?

Regards 

Lloyd 

1656BAA2 0AF6 4391 BEFE 17C593F2693A
85FD47EB 540C 42A0 8617 FF8343D16951
3BCB8E6F 44D0 47C9 B0C2 953DDC24CAE6

Posted : 06/08/2022 2:29 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Jac Janssen
(@jac-janssen)
Estimable Member Registered

@lloyd 

Frank did the same in the Hedghog PSC - no reason not to do it.
Saves some heat inside the housing and you don't need a heat sink for the regulator.

Jac

Posted : 06/08/2022 4:31 pm
Lloyd, Lloyd and Lloyd reacted
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Topic starter

@jac-janssen

Cheers for that, if it’s good enough to go in the PSC, then I’m happy to keep it in!

I have since mounted it horizontally, as I found I couldn’t get the lid back on with it vertical, not unless I mounted it at a funny angle.

34B01E7D F04C 452A 8BE8 9786C90CA26F

Regards 

Lloyd 

Posted : 06/08/2022 5:33 pm
freya, freya and freya reacted
Jac Janssen
(@jac-janssen)
Estimable Member Registered

Excellent!

Jac

Posted : 06/08/2022 6:45 pm
freya
(@freya)

Good job Lloyd, 

Its been fitted as standard to all my built Hedghogs when they are in stock, but after the first 60 went, getting them proved difficult for a time. 

Posted : 06/08/2022 7:45 pm
FRANK.C
(@frank-c)
Reputable Member Registered

Great upgrade Lloyd. It should run a lot cooler now.

I used them in the PSC as it has higher power consumption than the other Hedghogs.
A 7805 was getting quite toasty but the switching regulator runs nice and cool.
They don't appear to produce much noise. Not enough to give problems anyways.
In the PSC there is an additional filter on the supply side of the regulator to help prevent any noise going out through the power lead but that filter is probably not necessary.

They are really great little things and not expensive. One great thing about them is as they are a drop in replacement it can easily be reversed if there is any problem.

With the regulator I used in the PSC it is recommended that the capacitors on the supply side are rated at double the expected supply voltage.

Frank

www.electronics.frankcuffe.ovh

Posted : 24/08/2022 7:37 pm
Lloyd reacted
Share: