Noble Member Registered

A delivery of the boards was attempted yesterday. Sadly, I was out 🙁

Coming again Wednesday.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 8:27 am
freya
(@freya)
Noble Member Registered

If there is a spare board going I would like to make another as I have enough components left from the first one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 9:44 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble Member Registered
Posted by: freya

If there is a spare board going I would like to make another as I have enough components left from the first one.

I think mine are all spoken for now, but I frequently get PCB's made,  and if PCBway's boards are as good as the service is prompt, I'll be using them again. I can always tag another order on and split the postage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 1:18 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Moderator

Just out of curiosity, what would be the typical cost of building a Hedgehog? - I'm just curious to know if it would come in low enough to inspire me to consider a build in the future, or if the cost would care me witless for fear of ruining an expensive piece of kit.

If it ain't fixed, don't break it!............

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 5:45 pm
freya
(@freya)
Noble Member Registered

Thanks Doz, keep me penciled in for one please.

Stephen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 6:15 pm
freya
(@freya)
Noble Member Registered
Posted by: Katie Bush

Just out of curiosity, what would be the typical cost of building a Hedgehog? - I'm just curious to know if it would come in low enough to inspire me to consider a build in the future, or if the cost would care me witless for fear of ruining an expensive piece of kit.

Based on buying from Farnell for the most part, with FPGA an ebay buy from China I would say between £120-140

Stephen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2018 8:13 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble Member Registered

SWMBO has just taken delivery! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2018 10:43 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble Member Registered

Quality of the boards appears to be excellent. My poor phone photo does not do justice at all.

Boards have cost me the princely sum of £6.53 ea. 

Yours for that and the cost of postage (which will be first class letter at 67p, except Jac who's in Holland, and it'll be £1.55 Royal Mail international standard)

First refusal:

mfd70
Jac Janssen
PYE625
Norman-Raeburn

On the bench:
Jayceebee

PM me some details, payment by paypal only... I'll send the details.

IMG 20181031 182416041

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/10/2018 7:04 pm
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi.

That is really brilliant, I'm not sure as yet if I'll make an order at this time. Our inbuilt oven blew the Element for the forth time in ten years on Tuesday so as I'm rather miffed at fitting another one we have bit the bullet and bought a new oven, I'll be fitting it myself but that's a few hundred quid out I didn't bargain for.

Cheers Trevor
Radiomuseum Member. Collection HERE

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/11/2018 9:25 am
freya
(@freya)
Noble Member Registered
Posted by: freya

Thanks Doz, keep me penciled in for one please.

Stephen

Just to let you know I'm sorted for a PCB now, Frank kindly posted one to me.

A donation to the BVWS will be made.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/11/2018 7:36 am Doz liked
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble Member Registered

And so it begins!

IMG 20181102 133144509

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/11/2018 1:34 pm freya liked
FRANK.C
(@frank-c)
Estimable Member Registered

Hi Doz
I like your PCB clamp simple and effective.

Frank

Hedghog web page http://www.electronics.frankcuffe.ovh/hedghog

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2018 11:20 pm
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Trusted Member Registered

I've been doing a bit of shopping around for the semiconductors required, the best prices for low quantities seems to be various Chineese suppliers on ebay. I estimate £30 for all semis except 7805 and 1n4001 which I have in stock. The modulator ICs are now obsolete, but there seems to still be quantities in stock. 

It looks like the passives are cheaper in the various kits, also offered by Chineese suppliers on ebay rather than individual values.

I'm inclined to use the front panel layout, but fit the completed unit  into a 1u rack mount with a mains PSU but  I'll concentrate on building it first !

PS. Anyone who uses RS may be interested in a 9% cashback offer with topcashback I don't know if it is limited, but worthwhile if you're placing a large RS order.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2018 11:49 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble Member Registered
Posted by: mfd70

I've been doing a bit of shopping around for the semiconductors required, the best prices for low quantities seems to be various Chineese suppliers on ebay. I estimate £30 for all semis except 7805 and 1n4001 which I have in stock. The modulator ICs are now obsolete, but there seems to still be quantities in stock. 

It looks like the passives are cheaper in the various kits, also offered by Chineese suppliers on ebay rather than individual values.

I'm inclined to use the front panel layout, but fit the completed unit  into a 1u rack mount with a mains PSU but  I'll concentrate on building it first !

PS. Anyone who uses RS may be interested in a 9% cashback offer with topcashback I don't know if it is limited, but worthwhile if you're placing a large RS order.

That's a big saving over using RS/Farnell/CPC, although I've been caught with sub-standard resistors and many fake semi-conductors on eBay before. I've had to go the chinese route with the modulators, as Mark says, sourcing mine from Ali-Express.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2018 8:55 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble Member Registered

Here's the state of play as of Friday afternoon. All the smd semi's are down, less the modulators as they haven't turned up yet. All the resistors and most of the caps are down. Board's a bit sticky with flux !

IMG 20181105 084228295

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/11/2018 8:58 am
Page 2 / 7 Prev Next

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website though you may find that certain features of Radios-TV website may not function properly without the aid of cookies. Our cookie policy

Working

Please Login or Register