System A Modulator: Options Today

22 Posts
10 Users
12 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

I know there's a hypothetical thread running about building a valve based modulator ( See Here) however the reality is its likely never going to happen. It got me wondering if someone wanted to build a system A modulator as a project today, with available solid state components, what options are open to them in 2018.

I'm sure folk are aware of Steve McVoy's ETF modulator, I had one of these before moving it on to a member of Vrat 1.0 ( See Here) are they still available? It looks like they are but maybe the page has not been update for a while. They used two VCR IC's MC1374.

Then there's the one by David Looser as detailed on Jon's Valve page ( See Here) without checking not sure if the parts are still readily available, did anyone build one?

I believe David Grant made one, perhaps Catho can comment and I'm sure there was a photo over on Vrat 1.0 but I can't find it for now.

Of course its also well documented that with a little modification you can use a Rediffusion Frequency translator though personally these are now quite rare and I intend to use mine to get my CH2213 up and running.

Comments?

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 07/04/2018 10:48 am
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

If you like discrete circuitry then Darius' modulator design is delightfully stable. I used it when I built a converter based on his and am using it again to operate the graphics card.

Peter

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 07/04/2018 11:13 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Are yes! I forgot about Darius' one  ? 

Posted : 07/04/2018 11:18 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: Chris 

I believe David Grant made one, perhaps Catho can comment and I'm sure there was a photo over on Vrat 1.0 but I can't find it for now. 

Ah-ha... My mistake, the 'Li'l Dino' modulator was discussed here on Vrat 2.0 see here

Posted : 07/04/2018 12:00 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Ah-ha... My mistake, the 'Li'l Dino' modulator was discussed here on Vrat 2.0 see here

Yes, and it's no longer in production.

I remember seeing a load of boards for the ETF modulator when I was at Brian Cuff's reassembling some of his pre-war TV projects ready for sale.

Posted : 07/04/2018 3:34 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Then there's the one by David Looser as detailed on Jon's Valve page ( See Here) without checking not sure if the parts are still readily available, did anyone build one?

They're pretty much stock semiconductors but the biggest problem these days are the formers for coils - although I have seen them on eBay!

Posted : 07/04/2018 4:09 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

One System A modulator not so far mentioned in this thread is the one developed by David Robinson over at UKVRRR.

You can find the discussion here but a word of caution: ignore links to his ntlworld.com pages as they no longer work but the all important schematic can be found in pdf form in Post 33 (there is an earlier one in Post 22 but this doesn't include the 3.5MHz trap in the video input.

David's design uses the same modulator chips as the Aurora, although I think it predates that. Like the Aurora, the output is switch adjustable to any channel between B1 and B13.

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 08/04/2018 12:37 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Thanks for that post Terry I was completely unware of that thread  ? 

Where possible and data exists to capture these cct designs, I've created a new section in the Data Library called Modulators. 

Posted : 08/04/2018 12:47 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)
Reputable Member Registered

Has anyone tried this circuit, I downloaded  it quite a few years ago but cannot remember where from!

British 405 Line Modulator

Posted : 08/04/2018 3:38 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Dave,

that's Steve McVoy's one from the ETF museum, the one I mention ( see paragraph 2) and provide the link to in post #1. The data is also in the library here.

Posted : 08/04/2018 3:42 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

Hi Chris,

I even bought 4  Mc1374 to build the circuit. Did the one you have perform OK? I may get around again to building it.

Posted : 08/04/2018 4:11 pm
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

I’ve got one of the ETF modulators here, still incomplete! I never got very far with it as I ended up buying an Aurora instead. I really should finish it as I bought a lovely little anodised aluminium box for it, and it’d be a shame not to use it! 

Regards,

Lloyd

Posted : 08/04/2018 5:39 pm
Marc
 Marc
(@marc)
Noble Member Registered

I use a ETF modulator along side an Aurora so I can have London and Birmingham (ch1 & ch4) at the same time. I have to say the Aurora is the best choice but the ETF does work well.

Marc
BVWS member
RSGB call sign 2E0VTN

Posted : 08/04/2018 5:47 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

If anybody has a copy of Carnt & Townsend's 1961 book 'Colour television. N.T.S.C. system, principles and practice' you should be able to find a valved solution!

It's a long time since I last saw a copy (around 50 years!) but, from memory it shows the circuit of the low level stages of the Crystal Palace transmitter. I recall it used GEC valves.

The reason these diagrams were included, I think, was because some slight modification to System A was required for colour working - in particular, a slight change to the sound and vision spacing to get the correct relationship between the vision, colour subcarrier and sound frequencies to ensure that the sound-colour beat was stationary on the screen. Ignore the PA stages (which aren't shown, anyway) and you have a System A modulator!

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 09/04/2018 9:32 am
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

I have just been looking at the David Robinsons System A modulator. A copy of the circuit is in the library. The PIC 16c84 chip would need to be programmed is a copy of that file available?

Posted : 09/04/2018 8:29 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Hi Dave, 

sorry no.

In post #26 of the UKVRRR thread David Robinson states if asked he can supply the pic file. However the thread is 13 years old and is closed. I believe you can contact the moderators over on UKVRRR stating you would like the thread re-opened and why, or you could just try pm'ing David Robinson and ask directly.

Posted : 09/04/2018 8:37 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

Hi Chris, I think I will have a go at building S. McVoy's version. I have a vcr that I have recorded 405 line material from an Aurora. If I build the modulator I could fit it in the vcr and get 2 channels working with different programmes at the same time! Thanks again.

Posted : 09/04/2018 9:42 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: abctelevision

Hi Chris, I think I will have a go at building S. McVoy's version. 

Excellent, if you get the time and feel so inclined, perhaps you might share the process of the build in the workshop section of the forum. I'm sure the membership would find it an interesting project to follow.

Posted : 09/04/2018 9:46 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

I keep fancying making a tunable one using a couple of AD9850 DDS synthesisers. I might get round to it one day !

Posted : 10/04/2018 10:14 am
FRANK.C
(@frank-c)

A bit late to this thread but if anyone is interested I have built a couple versions of David Robinson's modulator. They have a inbuilt 405 line test card and test tone.
All files required to build the latest version can be downloaded here.

Frank

vol c
vol b
vol a
20191001 140958 1 resized

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/VOL_System_A_Modulator.html

www.electronics.frankcuffe.ovh

Posted : 21/10/2019 7:22 pm
Red_to_Black, Nuvistor, Red_to_Black and 3 people reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: