Forum 141

Thermionic standards converter......?

96 Posts
12 Users
34 Likes
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

"Yeah... Let's say "exotic" rather than odd ball?" Marion.

Presenting the 7036 gating heptode and the EC70/CV4507 subminiature triode.

The 7036 can be used for functions such as a sync  pulse adder or gate.  https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_7036.html  

The EC70 was designed as an oscillator for operation up to 600Mhz.  Characteristics are similar to the 6J5.    https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ec70.html

Till Eulenspiegel.       

EC70

Posted : 21/11/2017 10:30 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The line store unit will have to be solid state, there is no other easy solution to the problem other than an optical system.    To date I've never had any luck with Dallas DS2010 FIFO chip.  I've still got the application notes for this device and considering the chips were bought in 1988 so it's about time these were put to use.   To keep things simple the 625 clock frequency will be 10Mhz  and the 405 clock frequency 6.5Mhz. This will give 512 picture elements during the active 52 and 79microsecond video periods.  The rather low clock frequencies will restrict the 625 video to 4mhz and 405 to about 2.7Mhz.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Moderator note - Updated post now merged with original.

Posted : 06/12/2017 7:00 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

Well, I guess those vintage chips might just qualify, though I was thinking 'thermionic all the way'. I guess at least if the conversion is thermionic, then solid state stores can be forgiven - plus of course, we no longer have the power stations in the UK to power it up!

Posted : 06/12/2017 10:23 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Marion, the line store will be hidden away from sight.  If interpolation is to be considered we'll have to contrive a 64microsecond delay line. 

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 07/12/2017 9:37 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Recently acquired the power supply unit for the Murphy TPG11 so now restoration of the old sync and pattern generator can go ahead. Tested the PSU this morning and it is in working order.

Murphy TPG11 PSU 1
Murphy TPG11 PSU 2

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 17/08/2020 1:50 pm
crustytv, Nuvistor, crustytv and 3 people reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Testing the TPG11.   No HT shorts found so connect up the two units together and just plug it in to the mains and see what happens. No bangs or flashes. 'Scope connected to the various front panel monitor terminals and these show that there is a lot of activity going on. I reckon this instrument is a goer. The transformer in the mains frame sync lock transformer has been disconnected from the 6D2 diodes, refer to the circuit diagram on page three of this topic. Thankfully the windings check out OK.  There is a fair bit ripple on the HT supply so the electrolytics in the PSU will need to be replaced.

RF present on the output socket.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 18/08/2020 10:51 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Initial tests reveal that the master oscillator is running too fast. The correct frequency should be 20,250Hz, Even with adjustment of the oscillator control the lowest frequency attainable is 22,000Hz. The oscillator may need attention but I'm inclined to think the fault lies in the frame lock discriminator circuit.   The master oscillator can be monitored from the front panel as can the control voltage from the discriminator to the master oscillator. 

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 18/08/2020 8:31 pm
freya
(@freya)
Prominent Member Registered

Has yours had the modification for flywheel sync, if you need it i have the 9 page document detailing this.

Found this relating to the oscillator too

Untitled

Stephen

Posted : 18/08/2020 9:40 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Steven, any further information about this instrument would certainly be welcome. My info was sourced from Jonz Valvepage website.

Adjustment of P1 (R11) has brought the master oscillator to near correct frequency. Switched to 50Hz lock off shows a steady waveform on the 'scope but jitter is apparent when the 50hz lock is switched on. However, in the locked condition there is a flywheel sync condition and the frequency is maintained over a dwell of 15 to 20 degrees on the front panel frequency control R9.

Till Eulenspiegel.

MurphyTPG11 Master Osc
MurphyTPG11 Mon 1 Wfm

Posted : 20/08/2020 11:24 am
freya
(@freya)

I particularly like this exert from the 1951 BR&T test report

Untitled

Posted : 20/08/2020 1:39 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Summary of today's work on the TPG11.

Each divider has front panel fine adjustment control: 2250c/s, 250c/s and 50c/s.  From the slider of the potentiometers is a 470Kohm resistor to the grid of the 6SN7GT triodes. The resistors were found to have gone high and have been replaced. With the master oscillator set to 20250c/s, or as close to that figure as possible the output waveform from the final divider has a repetition rate of 20mS.

However, the line sync generator isn't working properly so that stage is next to receive attention. The pulses from the twice line rate source are differentiated and used to trigger the line multivibrator, the negative going leading edge pulse is applied to the anode of section 2 of V13.

The attachment shows the rubbish line sync pulse.

MurphyTPG11 Line Sync. wfm
MurphyTPG11 Line Sync

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 21/08/2020 3:27 pm
freya, Nuvistor, freya and 3 people reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The 1 microsecond delay circuit.  The key element here is the inductor L3.

The 1uS pulse is supplied to the suppressor grid of V11 in the half line sync pulse generator.

MurphyTPG11 1uS 1
MurphyTPG11 1uS 2
MurphyTPG11 1uS 3

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 22/08/2020 11:32 am
freya
(@freya)

For anyone following, this block diagram may interesting

block

Posted : 22/08/2020 1:50 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Steven,  in the early 1950s the TPG11 must have been the most complex piece of test equipment ever to be used in workshops to repair domestic TV receivers.

Replaced V11 (6F13) in the half line sync pulse generator. Now have a near perfect waveform for the eight broad pulses in the sync pulse train.

MurphyTPG11 Master Osc wfm V11 anode

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 22/08/2020 2:22 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Turned my attention to the divider chains.  50Hz lock switched off and the master oscillator set to 20250Hz, or thereabouts. 

Adjust the first divide-by-nine circuit. Oscilloscope triggered by channel 1 and connected to the cathode of section 2 of V3.(6SN7)

Channel 2 is connected to the anode of V11. 2H pulses.

Adjust the divider so that nine 2H pulses are coincident with the duty cycle of the waveform in 'scope channel 1.

MurphyTPG11 1st Div 9

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 22/08/2020 11:31 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Good progress over the weekend.

Video waveforms at the anodes of the sync and video mixer valve V20.

This signal is sent direct to the monitor terminal "VID"+.

Sync height needs slight adjustment.

MurphyTPG vid output 1
MurphyTPG vid output 2

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 24/08/2020 11:46 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

More results.  The picture was taken from the screen of a Ferguson phase II "Senator" 705T TV set.

MurphyTPG11 TV pic

Posted : 24/08/2020 8:26 pm
FRANK.C, FRANK.C and FRANK.C reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@till

The tv screen matches the scope waveform and it a locked raster so that’s a winner.

Frank

Posted : 24/08/2020 9:39 pm
Doz, Doz and Doz reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Have replaced all the TCC paper capacitors in the mains lock chassis. All had leaks in varying degrees.  The 'scope traces show the eight frame sync broad pulses are coincident through the 50Hz AC zero crossing point

MurphyTPG11 50Hz sync

The mains lock discriminator circuit.

MurphyTPG11 Lock chassis equivalent cct

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 27/08/2020 11:34 am
Nuvistor, freya, Nuvistor and 3 people reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

The RF modulator assembly is constructed to a very high standard. The modulator utilises the properties of the Mazda 6F33 pentode. This valve has special suppressor grid characteristics which permit the baseband video to be supplied to the third grid. To prevent the G3 going positive I believe a diode is connected inside the valve to G3. 

ModulatorTPG11

The lower oscilloscope trace shows the modulated video signal. The sync tips do not go down to zero or almost zero carrier level.

ModulatorTPG11 wfm

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 28/08/2020 10:00 am
Page 4 / 5
Share: