Trade Chat 70,s CTV prices.

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi, 70,s ctv prices are going through the roof. An untested 22 inch Decca 100 sold for £250!! on ebay, Malc.

Posted : 04/04/2021 12:08 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I saw that, it was in mint condition. Not as mad as early VCR's. I saw a Philips N1501 go two weeks ago for £780! I kid you not.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 04/04/2021 12:28 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered
Topic starter

@crustytv I could cry when i think of the hundreds of 60/70,s sets i must have scrapped at Rediffusion.

Posted : 04/04/2021 1:24 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

I've also noticed this, along with smaller 1980s-90s sets becoming popular with retrogamers.

Posted : 04/04/2021 10:27 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @malcscott

Hi, 70,s ctv prices are going through the roof. An untested 22 inch Decca 100 sold for £250!! on ebay, Malc.

Close to the so called trade prices I was paying for TVs and video recorders in the early 1990s. A full list will appear in another topic in the Forum.

Rent TVs 1

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 05/04/2021 9:13 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I actually wonder how much is driven by people speculating on the future value of things. I've heard of folk right now sinking money into all sorts of stuff and waiting for the price to go up.  We've all seen money invested in cars and motorbikes. We all know the saying "Safe as houses". There have always been land speculators, but right now, if people think an item will bring back a better return than money in the bank, they're willing to take a punt, and let's be fair, when a bank offers 0.01% interest on your savings, what's to lose? I guess most folk are thinking that even if there was no increase in value, "You should at least get back what you paid for it". I'd also guess that if you're only sinking a few tens of pounds, or a few hundreds, into a particular commodity, you can hedge your bets by spreading your investable funds across a range of commodities, take a loss on on some, but still make a modest profit on others? I'll say one thing, it has to be a safer bet than gambling.

I wonder how many sets have been bought by bored and frustrated 'lockdowners' and been turned into hideous bookshelves or drinks cabinets, a winter project, either to keep at home, or to turn a profit on resale.

One thing I'm pretty sure of, it's not youngsters buying them as the "Ultimate retro gaming CRT display" who are driving the market, and I'm pretty certain there hasn't been a sudden explosion in genuine collectors with a vested interest in keeping historic TVs alive.

Posted : 05/04/2021 1:04 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @katie-bush

I actually wonder how much is driven by people speculating on the future value of things. I've heard of folk right now sinking money into all sorts of stuff and waiting for the price to go up. 

I guess that could be one possibility, however I think the extreme prices paid by some, may have more to do with a group of people reaching a certain age, and nostalgia kicking in is a strong force. These folk, maybe 50+ something's are likely to have a disposable income and have reached the age where they're nostalgic for their younger years, and are trying to recapture their past. I know I fall into that category, my 70s lounge for example.

Its likely this window will keep shifting as the other age groups hit the nostalgia sweet spot. That also means what fetches lots now, may not do so 10-20 years from now, only time will tell. Of course there's always going to be folk interested in certain periods but will a 70s TV still fetch £300+ to the 18year old of today, 20 years from now? Unlikely, they'll probably be looking for the Vintage GeForce 1080i, the PS4 and that retro LCD they had in their bedroom back in 2020.

For example as much as I like vintage TV and could at a stretch now afford a Pre-war 405, I have no interest in them whatsoever or any other 405 for that matter. I can marvel at the sheer brilliance of the designs for 1936+, I enjoy others repairing them, but they have no relevance to me. But put an early colour TV or mid 70s colour in front of me, and it's a carrot I cannot resist. They're my era, I can remember them in shops and our houses, my dad always lusting after the bigger screens, it takes me back in time, to a familiar comforting time.

So if a 19" D|E|R 3000 came up like the 2nd TV our family owned, would I pay way over the odds and then some to secure it? You bet, does that mean these TVs have reached that as a true value? No, what you're witnessing is someone's nostalgia but onlookers mistake that for "Oh that's how much these are worth". You only have to look at e-bay after a 70s vintage TV sells for a significant amount, loads of TV's pop up at ridiculous prices, I won't name any, but there are a couple of examples on there now, and they've not sold for months. They'll only sell for the silly money if someone's nostalgia matches the need.

The up shot of this is, some elements of Colour TV might take on pre-war status, we shall have to see how the 1st gen colours fair 20-30 years from now when they're 70+ years old. It's more likely that a colour collection today that cost a lot of money, could in all probability be worthless in 20+ years as they bear no relevance to anyone.

Just my thoughts on the matter, others may see it differently and that's as it should be.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 05/04/2021 1:34 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Here's the complete list of TVs and videos rented out between 1st April 1990 to 31st March 1991. The prices are ex-VAT. What the list does show is that the trade prices were not much less that than what the public were paying in stores like Comet and Currys. 

Rest assured I won't be searching for any of these models, as far as I'm concerned such sets are best forgotten.

Rent TVs
Rent TVs 1
Rent TVs 2
Rent TVs 3
Rent TVs 4

Posted : 05/04/2021 1:55 pm
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

My 405 line colour TV set is almost 65 years old.

I'd be happy to add any early colour TV set to my collection. American and UK made sets and anything else. We know France was doing colour TV experiments in the '50s.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 05/04/2021 2:11 pm
Share: