Trade Chat BBC Trade test colour films

8 Posts
4 Users
12 Likes
Sundog
(@sundog)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

I'm sure many of us remember these film, screened on BBC2 in the years around the colour launch.

What I find disappointing is how few are available to watch now. There are a few on Youtube but the quality of most is abismal.

Amongst those I remember most is Atlantic Parks 1967 made by the National Film Board of Canada. Unfortunately the Youtube clip looks like multi-generation VHS or Beta.

Posted : 19/12/2021 9:05 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@sundog 

I did enjoy them the first time around but after a few viewing they got to background noise. Still they were excellent for what they were intended for.

Have you seen this web page, a similar page is also on the BVWS web site.

http://www.testcardcircle.org.uk/ttcfatoz.html

Frank

Posted : 19/12/2021 10:43 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)
Honorable Member Registered

@nuvistor Ah! "The Home Made Car" a really great film.

Ten years ago I was contacted by Lytton Jarmon who rescued a very similar Bull Nose Morris and used it as his everyday transport for most of his life and also wrote the seminal work on these cars.

Dear Peter

It is most kind of you to reply to my enquiry.  I lived in Edgware, Middlesex and we had a floor mounting Bush Television which got lovely and warm when it was switched on!   I brought the set to Rugby when I moved here in 1948 but the London signal was too faint to get an acceptable reception.

This is the programme I am asking about:-  11-12 noon, Film for Demonstration Purposes. It was shown every morning for weeks and weeks.
Many thanks Lytton Jarman

In a message dated 14/06/2012 16:36:49 GMT Daylight Time, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I had a TV set from 1936 until the war.  Each day from 11 am to midday there was a programme called "Film For Demonstration Purposes".  This was extremely interesting and looked at the future of Television.  It forecast World Wide Television with hundreds of relay stations around the World.  I would love to see this again.  Do you know if the film has survived?
Lytton Jarman - Rugby - Warwickshire  e-mail:-  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lytton Jarman

Dear Lytton,

Thank you for responding to my website. I'm not aware of that film but I'll make equiries and let you know the outcome. Can you recall the make and model of you television set? From a reception point of view I would also be interested to know  where were you living at that time?

Kind regards,

Peter Scott

Mod Note: As a security measure, the two private e-mail addresses have been removed from public view.

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 20/12/2021 10:48 am
Sundog
(@sundog)
Reputable Member Registered
Topic starter

The Home Made Car is better quality than many. The film transfer is good but the video still appears to come from a colour-under source.

But who am I to complain? It's free, but I would gladly pay to see a better version.

Posted : 20/12/2021 8:25 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

EVOLUON

According to Carol Vorderman my grandfather got the idea for this after being kicked out of museums as a kid for messing with the exhibits so he decided to build one where the kids were positively encouraged to play with the exhibits. The shell of the building still survives and is now a national monument. Incidentally Carol's father was a senior employee of ours.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 21/12/2021 1:34 am
Alex728, Alex728 and Alex728 reacted
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@ntscuser 

https://www.evoluon.com/en/

Frank

Posted : 21/12/2021 8:18 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)

My grandfather wasn't happy with the current use of the building but had no say in the matter.

There was another trade test film called "Waves in the Ether" which explains the origins of the Philips logo but I've not been able to find it on YouTube.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

Posted : 21/12/2021 5:17 pm
peterscott
(@peterscott)

@ntscuser Couldn't find the film but here's a text:

The story about the Philips logo - DutchAudioClassics.nl

www.nostalgiatech.co.uk

Posted : 22/12/2021 8:31 pm
Share: