Behind the scenes Television Centre

11 Posts
7 Users
3 Likes
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

I happened upon this film from 1971 you may or may not have seen, quite an interesting peek into Television Centre.

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft. Andrew.

Posted : 08/01/2018 10:09 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

That's how it looked when I started - but when I'd started they'd built the multi-storey car park.

Posted : 08/01/2018 10:19 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable Member Registered

I think I have seen this before, but it's a very interesting film.

I really like the part showing the caption boards (in case of breakdown etc.) and the mechanical mirror globe thingy (my favourite BBC icon). Also goes to show just how much work goes into producing a TV programme. I assume the amount of work required is about the same regarding sets and costumes etc.?

Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 08/01/2018 11:24 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

There isn't quite the requirement for quick turnarounds that there used to be, but nonetheless it does still go on and yes, set and costume requirements are much the same and the effort to produce same. Cloth backdrops are increasingly produced photographically onto the cloth rather than by painting.

The major changes are in how much is generated electronically and the biggest change is in recording technology, as it gets closer to being entirely tapeless. 'Noddy' (the BBC globe with mirrors) was colourised with a two-level colour synth.

Posted : 09/01/2018 1:28 pm
mfd70
(@mfd70)

BBC Wales still has it's mechanical globe and the COW at BH in Llandaff.

Posted : 10/01/2018 9:52 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

I think I have seen a video/film that shows more detail on the workings of the mirror globe, but I can't remember where. Will have to go and look, IIRC it was illuminated with a festoon bulb inside the globe??

Jon

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 10/01/2018 10:16 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

Here you go: http://www.tvstudiohistory.co.uk/tv%20centre%20history.htm#pres

Posted : 10/01/2018 10:31 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Posted by: Cathovisor

'Noddy' (the BBC globe with mirrors) was colourised with a two-level colour synth.

Shortly after I first met my wife in 1972 we visited the exhibition held to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the start of the BBC and there we encountered the globe.

I was fascinated by the sheer mechanical simplicity of the device whereas she really enjoyed twiddling with the controls to alter the foreground and background colours!

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 11/01/2018 2:43 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Posted by: Cathovisor

Here you go: http://www.tvstudiohistory.co.uk/tv%20centre%20history.htm#pres

That a very interesting read Catho. Thank you for posting.

I'm still looking for the film/video on the mirror globe. It was something like this but with more detail.

Jon 

Jon
BVWS Member

Posted : 11/01/2018 7:25 pm
Steve Webb
(@steve-webb)
Eminent Member Registered

A very interesting film and amazing the amount of work which goes into TV production.   I know this is going to date me, but I remember a film showing off the then newly constructed BBC television centre. The BBC used to show this just before the start of BBC TV programs in the afternoon circa 1961.  The music accompanying the film was made in the BBC radiophonic workshop and as a nine year old boy I found the short film quite scary.  The film is I believe on Youtube

Posted : 12/01/2018 2:48 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

And..... I now have a use for those old microwave oven turntable motors!

A transparent plastic ball, painted with clear lacquers to resemble the globe, two flat mirrors in a wide vee formation behind the globe and a small LED bulb (W5W) suspended from above to illuminate the globe from within, and you're not far off!

Have you ever stood next to the rotating "NEW SCOTLAND YARD" sign outside, well.... New Scotland Yard? That's quite mesmerising to watch - or was when I was about 12 years old! It too had a noisy motor/gear train that buzzed and growled as it rotated.

Posted : 12/01/2018 6:33 pm
Share: