27 Likes
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered
Topic starter

@katie-bush 

https://www.arqiva.com/news-views/news/update-on-incident-at-bilsdale-mast

Updated 16/08/2021

Over the weekend work has continued at both our Eston Nab site and Bilsdale itself in efforts to recover services for more people. The Fire Service were able to access the base of the mast for the first time since the fire broke out and we are now able to begin the process of assessing the condition of the mast itself. There are no findings to report at this stage and we will update as soon as we are able.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/bilsdale-mast-latest-new-tv-21367851

Posted : 21/08/2021 3:36 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

It would be interesting to read the metallurgical report on the condition of the mast at the point of the fire. Given that the entire weight of the mast is bearing straight down on the base, there won't be any room for complacency.

I'm curious to known if, or how much, the eutectic properties of the steel have been affected. With Autumn just around the corner, and the severity of the winter weather out there, I'd expect urgency to be a key feature. If they're very lucky, all will be fine, but I'd be concerned about another Emley Moor style collapse if the steel has been compromised.

Posted : 21/08/2021 3:49 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Last week's update says that the mast is damaged beyond repair. A temporary mast is being built near by, and the existing mast is to be dismantled.

There has been some delay due to issues around permits to take vehicles across the heather, and for the clearance of the temporary site. Also, as is apparent from the pictures shown on the local news (ITV News Calendar, and BBC Look North) the access roads have been refreshed with new stone hardcore topping.

I guess the powers that be don't quite get the gravitas of the situation. With shortening days and approaching winter weather, dismantling the old mast must carry on apace if its collapse is to be prevented.

All of this is not helped by the news that Arqiva has only recently dismissed a substantial number of its engineering staff. Not good news for those poor soles whose TV and radio broadcasts are still absent.  I hope they get a refund on their TV licences, after all, they definitely are not watching TV, even with a licence!

Posted : 26/09/2021 8:45 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@katie-bush 
From reports in the news the temporary mast is a 3 month stop gap. It’s not designed for winter and could be dismantled in 3 months. A new temporary mast that is more permanent will be required.

BBC News 3 Sept, ITV had similar information on the 15th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-58431922?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=KARANGA

Frank

Posted : 27/09/2021 6:45 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: