Featured
Latest
Can anyone ID this ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Can anyone ID this studio monitor? (Teddington Studios, early 80s)

9 Posts
8 Users
24 Likes
Alex728
(@alex728)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

Just saw this on a documentary made by Thames about the Sooty Show that got uploaded to Youtube.

The quality of the whole thing wasn't the best, I couldn't even read all the year on the Thames endcap but Charlotte Coleman appears as Marmalade Atkins at the start so it would have been after 1981 and before 1984..

2019 04 22 (2)

Posted : 22/04/2019 12:23 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Sooty the bear with Harry Corbett first appeared on TV in 1952 so 1981-84 is a reasonable time frame for this show. That’s Mathew Corbett in the clip, Harry’s son who took over in 1976.

Cant help with the make of the monitor.

All information from Wikipedia, honest. ? 

Frank

Posted : 22/04/2019 6:10 am
Alex728, Alex728 and Alex728 reacted
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

That's a Rediffusion Mark 3.  Possibly the only TV receiver which used thyristors in the line output stage with the reliability of a conventional transistor circuit.

More TV monitors from the Thames Television series "Callan"

Till Eulenspiegel.

CallanTVMonitors

Posted : 22/04/2019 9:55 am
malcscott, Alex728, malcscott and 3 people reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Indeed it is and with its tuner module removed. Its always worth checking out the extensive TV brochures available up top under blog | Television. Under there you will find countless black & white and colour Television brochures.

The specific Rediffusion brochure can be found here and the actual set in question is shown below (albeit with the tuner intact).

red6

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 22/04/2019 10:10 am
Alex728
(@alex728)
Topic starter

Thanks! I thought I had seen a TV set like it on here but wasn't 100% sure. Makes sense as I think Rediffusion/BET owned a part of Thames?

Always liked Thames shows as a lad, especially those where you got to see the inside of Teddington Studios, for a few years in my 20s when I worked as a broadcast engineer I was regularly sending them various replacement items (mostly for the audio distribution equipment) but alas, never got to actually visit the place (which I understand got closed, gutted out and knocked down a few years ago, a great shame..)

At least a lot of old Thames content still gets uploaded to YouTube and Fremantle doesn't have it all removed, and Sooty (now with Richard Cadell) is still going strong (there are plenty of grown adults my age and above openly admitting to watching him on YouTube ? )

Posted : 22/04/2019 1:09 pm
raditechman
(@raditechman)

There was a tie up with Rediffusion and Thames TV. I worked for Rediffusion and covered southwest London. Had many calls to Thames TV employees who had colour TV's at a special cheap rate rental (or even free) as a Thames TV perk.

Before Thames TV took over Teddington studios it was used by Rediffsion television, who were the London weekday ITV provider until they lost the franchise and it went to Thames.

The studios BTW are now demolished for luxury flats and housing.

John

Posted : 23/04/2019 10:59 am
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

Wasn't Thames jointly owned by BET & ABC, who were bought up by EMI in the late 1960s?

Posted : 23/04/2019 12:58 pm
malcscott
(@malcscott)
Prominent Member Registered

CH6730.

Posted : 23/04/2019 11:01 pm
Terrykc
(@terrykc)
Member Rest in Peace

Posted by: raditechman

There was a tie up with Rediffusion and Thames TV. I worked for Rediffusion and covered southwest London. Had many calls to Thames TV employees who had colour TV's at a special cheap rate rental (or even free) as a Thames TV perk.

Before Thames TV took over Teddington studios it was used by Rediffsion television, who were the London weekday ITV provider until they lost the franchise and it went to Thames.

Not a 'tie-up' as such as Rediffusion owned 49% of Thames! 

In the beginning there was Associated Rediffusion (later just Rediffusion) who had the first weekday franchise for the London area starting in 1955. They had no involvement with Teddington.

ABC had the first weekend franchises for both the Midlands and Northern areas. However, in 1958, ABC bought the studios at Teddington for television use.

When the ITA had a major shakeup in 1968, it forced Rediffusion and ABC to merge to form Thames Television who continued to use the facilities at Teddington until they lost their franchise to Carlton in 1993. The studio then became independent because it didn't fit in with Carlton's ethos of commissioning its programmes from independent producers.

When all else fails, read the instructions

Posted : 26/04/2019 5:30 pm
Share: