Christmas greetings...

Notifications
Clear all

Trade Chat Christmas greetings to all in the trade from Ceefax

WayneD
(@wayned)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

Here's a couple of Ceefax pages from December 1978 recovered from a Philips N1700 tape by Jason Robertson at The Teletext Archaeologist.

ceefax1
ceefax2

If you're wondering why they're giving greetings specifically to a Vineyard an article from Around Ealing reveals all:

One of the last articles from 1978 does not concern an Ealing Council event, but gives an insight into what people nearly 40 years ago thought the future looked like.

It tells the story of some cutting edge technology in use at a new wine bar on Pitshanger Lane called The Brentham Vineyard. The proprietor, Peter Hicks, told The Gazette that the new digital service called Ceefax was being use to flash up the message that it was last orders. He said: “The service has created tremendous interest. People come in to read the news, get racing tips and weather!”

https://www.aroundealing.com/history/local-history-discovered-during-clear-out/?fbclid=IwAR0N_AZWxUXCbPzQPrC3zWbetcluSnbFVwtKD14-x8hALNhQuqRtGp23E60

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/12/2021 2:22 pm
PYE625 and ntscuser liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

What a fascinating post, thanks for posting it, Wayne. It's nice to see the old teletext pages being recovered.

Teletext is another of my interests, I have a very early 1st generation Labgear decoder, which sadly cannot be used as apparently they changed the specifications of teletext shortly after its release. The other, is a Radofin, which works perfectly, then just before Christmas I picked up a mint condition AYR (read GEC) box, I've yet to try this. You can see them all here.

I've over 50 tapes from that period, about 20 N1500 and the rest N1700. I managed to get an N1700 working but still having trouble with the N1500, hoping to have that solved this year. I wonder what gems lie within.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/12/2021 3:04 pm
WayneD liked
WayneD
(@wayned)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv It would be fascinating to see what teletext data could be recovered from the tapes. I watched Jason do a live demonstration of teletext recovery from a VHS tape at Blockparty back in 2018, it's an amazing process. The early stuff is really interesting, especially when you see messages just for employees. 

The 90s/00s Digitiser stuff is interesting too, mainly because of the amount of adult jokes hidden in it! The most famous was "Turner the Worm being sick" but there's things like all the first letters of a paragraph spelling out a naughty word and the hair of some Digitiser characters clearly being the shape of something else.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/12/2021 3:28 pm