Share:
Notifications
Clear all

City & Guilds Radio & Television Servicing; Inc Colour Exam Papers.  

crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Some of you will be aware that for a number of years I have tried to track down the official C&G examination papers for the above course. Even going so far as to contact C&G who were, lets say less than helpful. Anyway, thanks to fellow V-ratter Jim (aka jcdaze 👍 ) that ambition has now been fulfilled. I can now bring these elusive papers to the community, via the sites knowledge base. Now preserved at Radios-TV for future reference, I hope you enjoy them as much as I.

So come on, who's going to try and resit their exam, see how much you can remember or like all of us, see how much you've forgotten.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/city-guilds-radio-television/

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 6:40 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Perhaps it’s the iPad i am using, can’t try anything else just yet but the page forward and back arrows at the bottom of each section are slow or not working on some sections.

I took the 1969 colour exam, probably couldn’t pass it now. 

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 9:30 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @nuvistor

Perhaps it’s the iPad i am using, can’t try anything else just yet but the page forward and back arrows at the bottom of each section are slow or not working on some sections.

Tested on my PC (win 10, chrome, firefox, opera & edge) and my mobile (Samsung, Android and Chrome), both devices load the exam pages quickly and the pdf navigation arrows function without any error or delays whatsoever. I've only an old iPad 2 and its not happy with the pdf embeds, I suspect its the specific version ios, safari or both. The rest of the site loads OK on my iPad. Oh how I long for the days when all you had to worry about was it working on a PC.

I'm afraid I can't be bothered tonight to try and figure out why certain iPads or versions if iOS barf (they only accounts for 5% of site traffic) as It working for 95% of the visitors (see below) on other devices. I'll put it on the to do list.

Radios-TV; Device Traffic

stat

Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 9:35 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

I try and dig the laptop out and try that either later tonight or tomorrow.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 9:41 pm
crustytv liked
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

It works fine on my iphone se.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 10:19 pm
crustytv liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Thanks for letting me know Jim at least we know the latest offering from Apple is compatible.

I keep all the software on the website up to date, I have to for support reasons and that includes the PDF embedding package. As is evident here, It's more likely local members devices as I showed above. My ancient iPad cannot load the PDF's at all, I just end up with blanks or it crashes safari. I tried installing other browsers (chrome, Firefox etc) on the iPad 2 but all say naff off, your iPad is too old! Gotta love all this built in obsolescence. Must be something similar for Franks. 

p.s.
Frank, I'll load the C&G PDF's into the library.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 10:30 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Appreciate iPad traffic is small, I can try the laptop. The iPad is 12 months old with the latest IOS so it’s not an age of unit or IOS problem. I will try the iphone that is running IOS 12 one IOS version behind latest.

Tried clearing cache and logging in, it work for a few pages then stalled. I just find the tablet is much more convenient that the laptop.

Edit. Just seen the library reference, thanks. Tested on the iPhone and that works ok

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 10:38 pm
crustytv liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

New section in the data library Frank, Its all there now, saves you faffing about on the phone or laptop and gives me time to look into it 👍.

Just a quick note; you have to be a member logged in to view it and a Data library member to download it. Basically, it's members only access, if you're logged out or a guest you won't be able to view. There's got to be some perks to being a member. 😉 

Edit: Thanks Frank for the phone update, so it works on PC, Windows, Android, Apple SE iOS, other apple phones, just not iPads, go figure!!! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/06/2020 10:40 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Just downloaded the files, however did I get a credit in the CTV exam? Certainly couldn’t now but at least I could answer some of them. It will give me something try and remember while in lockdown.

Thanks Chris for putting it in the library and Jim for donating. 👍 

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2020 5:58 am
crustytv liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Thanks to Rich (Marconi_MPT4), the City & Guilds exam paper for Video Recording & Playback, has now been added to the other exam papers. Also uploaded to the City & Guild section of the data library. There now 9 exam papers and the course syllabus manual I managed to buy a couple of years ago.

I've also now organised the papers into date order, from 1969 - 1983.

This as far as I know, is pretty much an exclusive to Radios-TV Vrat, these documents not to be found anywhere else online. Again thanks to Jim & Rich for helping 👍 

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/city-guilds-radio-television/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2020 11:43 pm
Nuvistor liked
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv

Thanks, I have another three Video Recording and Playback papers to scan and upload. Looking through the questions quite a few are obviously related to Philips N1500/N1700 and a nod to V2000 including DTF.  I have more papers on other co-related subjects to dig through.

I have also discovered a few mid 1970's issues of SERT,  The Journal of The Society of Electronic and Radio Technicians. In two issues there is a section on C&G colour TV exam questions with answers provided by SERT, something I understand did not go down too well with C&G. If these are of interest I will scan relevant pages. SERT eventually became part of the IEE now IET.

Rich

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 11:28 am
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)

Uploaded 1982 Video Recording and Playback paper.

Whilst tidying up the scan I noticed a faux-pas in one of the questions! It was quite common to find odd errors (of all things in an exam paper!).

See if you can spot the error.

Rich

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2020 7:51 pm
Red_to_Black, crustytv, Nuvistor and 1 people liked
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

No chance of me spotting any mistakes, I was only fixing them for a couple of years and there were few faulty with the machines being new. I did do home study on how they worked so I could fix them but all forgotten now.

i didn’t know C&G did video recorder exams.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2020 9:40 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I've moved the latest file supplied by Rich from the temporary library services upload area, thanks for the upload Rich. 👍

I've now relocated the document into the City & Guilds section of the Data Library and have updated the City & Guilds blog article with a copy.

Quite amazing, I've been trying to find all these for at least 10 years and now we've got 10 exam papers and the course syllabus. Just shows, given time, anything and everything can be found.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 8:58 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

On a very much related note, this is likely hens teeth.  Did anyone sit Part IV Teletext course and retain the exam paper? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 10:29 am
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

I've not got the teletext one but have found a couple more colour tv ones which I can scan and upload but the circuit diagrams associated with them are not A4 size and will be disjointed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/07/2020 11:17 am
Marconi_MPT4
(@marconi_mpt4)
Posted by: @nuvistor

i didn’t know C&G did video recorder exams.

By the early 1980's, City and Guilds had changed the course structure to 224 (no longer 222/224) due to a rapid decline in students studying radio and colour TV.  Many companies had stopped providing five year apprenticeships and instead those entering the trade 'learnt by experience' which amounted to just changing boards.  Additional units were provided in 224 including microprocessor fault finding, VCR, and there might have been industrial electronics. Those that had already passed their colour TV finals could add these to their CV.

Uploaded 1981 Video Recording and Playback paper which I believe was the first examination year (complete with a howler).  Specimen exam paper is work in progress.

Rich

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 10:28 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@marconi_mpt4

Thanks for the information, I left the trade 1980/81 so lost touch with what was going on. My C&G courses were in the 1960’s, course 48 I think it was and the colour endorsement. I know the course structure was changed in the 70’s to new ones, 222 or 224 seems to be in my mind but I didn’t take those.

We did try and gave jobs to two teenagers in the early 70’s, not at the same time. One left because he didn’t like college, the other said it wasn’t the job he wanted to do. In some ways perhaps they made the right decision, I got out by 1980/81. 
They were not being used as board changers, they were supervised, in fact board swops were very rarely done.

Long time ago.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 11:37 am
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

It was known as course numbers 47 and 48, one was more general electronics and the other was Radio and tv based. Not sure when they became the 222 and 224. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/07/2020 12:52 pm