Featured
Latest
How do you dismantl...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

Trade Chat How do you dismantle a REALLY TALL TV tower in the middle of a residential area?

5 Posts
2 Users
9 Likes
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered
Topic starter

Have a look at this link. Sydney is about to lose one of its TV towers.

https://vintage-radio.com.au/default.asp?f=1&th=1806&offset=1

It has become redundant and the Packer empire want to sell the land it's on to build $$$ apartments.

Understandable given Sydney's red hot property market at the moment.

Posted : 01/08/2021 5:06 pm
helloekco, Nuvistor, helloekco and 3 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

I guess that's life, and even over here it still happens on occasion. A case in point would be "The Futurist" theatre on Scarborough sea front - A venerable old Victorian structure, much loved by the local population, and steeped in history. Despite desperate efforts to secure a preservation order, the local authority out manoeuvred every step to save the building, and for what? Nothing more impressive than a "Big Wheel" (baby version of the "London Eye") as if that will still be standing in 150 years time. I should have some pictures of the theatre in its last days of demolition. If I find them, I'll post one here.

On the other hand Morrison Supermarkets likes to acquire sites with historic structure in place, for instance In York, The old York Corporation Electricity Generating Station was demolished to make way for a retail centre. The power station has gone, but its early 20th Century chimney is now a listed structure and stands at the corner of the Morrison's [relatively] new supermarket on Foss Islands Road, and what a landmark! - Looking for Morrison's? Just look for the 140ft red brick chimney!   Similarly in Goole, when the "Timms" flour mill was flattened to make way for another retail complex, the original 18th Century windmill emerged from the demolition. Protected by Grade II listed status, it now stands as a landmark for Morrison's supermarket in Goole.

Speaking of transmitter masts, Emley Moor transmitter in West Yorkshire also has Grade II listed status - It was built to replace the previous cylindrical steel structure which collapsed in February 1969. That mast was brought down by an imbalanced ice burden on the mast, and in particular, on the cable stays - The mast was heated to provide a degree of de-icing, but the stays were not, for practical reasons. The new mast had to be designed as a free standing structure so as to obviate future icing of any cable stays. The new [concrete] structure is more resilient than the old cylindrical mast, and with an overall height of about *1'200ft it is reputed to be Britain's [and Europe's] tallest free standing structure.

* A little bit shorter now, following an extensive restructuring of the radiating elements mounted atop of the observation platform. The observation platform now serves as a plant room for the broadcast equipment.

Posted : 01/08/2021 6:00 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Topic starter

That link is worth looking at if only for the photography!

The tower is actually the newest one of the currently-standing 3 towers. Kerry Packer, when he was alive, was particularly attached to his TCN9 TV station, which was usually top of the ratings. After ATN7 and TEN10 got together to build a new tower on the corner of Pacific Hwy and Mowbray Rd, it was taller than Kerry's tower. So he had to build a new one!

The Mowbray Rd site now handles all terrestial TV for all 5 networks, digital radio and most of the FM stations as well.

With the cost of dismantling, I have wondered if it might not have been cheaper to block off the adjacent freeway, gas-axe the base, and let it fall!

Posted : 05/08/2021 11:32 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Topic starter

Brad has posted some new pictures on that link.

I wonder how much they pay these guys to do that? And can they get life insurance!

Posted : 08/08/2021 7:25 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Topic starter

When I looked today (from Frenchs Forest) the tower was gone. Just the crane still there.

Posted : 09/08/2021 6:20 am
Share: