Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Trade Chat Lost (and found) Morecambe and Wise episode - film or VT?

Alex728
(@alex728)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

As I don't watch linear telly these days (and am not even sure how to stream ITV without handing over more personal data than I'd want to) I missed this, but I'm curious from the news reports as to whether what was discovered was film or videotape (none of the mainstream media reports are clear about this) - surely it would be easy to view (even with the naked eye) what was on film (and it might have some slate after the leader) and I always thought was usually stored on cores (in a film can) rather than spools - the description here sounds like some form of videotape -it suggests that Graham Morecambe handed this over to somewhere with equipment where they could attempt to play it back, plus it would be unusual to keep cans of unexposed (or exposed) film which clearly contains no picture..

Anyone here managed to see this show (or maybe might even know more about the format of what was discovered)?

"I got in there and came across five large canisters with spools in them.

"Four of them were blank or damaged, but the other one had a BBC stamp on it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-57989461

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/07/2021 11:23 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@alex728

I didn’t see this, another who watches little TV, I don’t have ITV streaming account either.

Reading the article, which as you say is short on detail, it does state “film in a canister”, if that description is correct many programmes were transferred to 16mm film for export. It saved expensive standard conversion and film was much cheaper than video tape. The 16mm film would be easy to use as material in any country.

In fact many drama programs were made on 16mm film, I am nearly sure programmes like Morse were 16mm film.

Has to being able to view the film by hand, possible but not that easy, the picture area on 16mm film is quite small.

Hopefully Cathovisor will see the thread, his long experience in programme making and transmission will probably shed more light.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2021 8:04 am
Alex728 liked
mfd70
(@mfd70)
Active V-Ratter Registered

I saw it, it was quite good but not very much of the actual programme was shown, it was a film canister found by Gary Morecambe (Eric's son) in the attic of his study. Looks like a B/W telerecording of a 1970 colour show maybe for export or review. The programme didn't cover any technical details or if the film was remastered, just what looked like some telecine operator stock shots. I hope the programme can be shown in its entirety at some point, maybe even colour recovery may be possible.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2021 12:23 pm
Alex728 liked
Alex728
(@alex728)

I wonder if the "blank" film was sepmag stock? Would make more sense for that to be kept (but equally likely the sound and picture stock got mixed up or it had deteriorated). It seems Gary (not Graham, I made a mistake in the first post) Morecambe is currently a film director so at least its very likely he found suitable facilities that would be able to process this archive material..

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/07/2021 10:36 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)

Anyone know if the beeb made many colour telerecordings? I can recall seeing (many years ago) what looked like colour telerecording. Commonly used in movie theatres for commercials before film was phased out, quality was variable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2021 7:09 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

@irob2345

By colour telerecording do you mean VTR to film stock?

Apologies if the meaning is obvious, probably me being a bit slow this morning.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2021 10:53 am
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

Hi Frank,

Telerecording was literally pointing a film camera at a picture monitor - sometimes the monitors had "spot wobble" to minimise line structure appearing on the film.

The only show I remember being regularly "telerecorded" was "Blue Peter", back in the early 80s.

See https://missingepisodes.proboards.com/thread/5348/late-blue-peter-telerecordings

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2021 1:09 pm
Nuvistor liked
irob2345
(@irob2345)

Cathovisor's explanation on Telerecording is not entirely inaccurate but it was a lot more complicated than that.

In the US and Australia the films were known as "kinescopes" or just "kines". For B&W, the image was reversed on the monitor so that the resultant negative film, when developed, could be used immediately without needing to go through the normal intermediate step of contact printing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2021 2:53 pm
Alex728 and Nuvistor liked
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)

@irob2345

It was common to process filmed news reports as negatives so their could quickly be transmitted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/07/2021 10:41 pm
mfd70
(@mfd70)

@richardfrommarple

I'm sure film inserts for news were on reversal commag ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/07/2021 11:25 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)

@mfd70 You're probably right.

I once heard it was common to play the negatives through a telecine & electronically reverse then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2021 11:17 am
Alex728
(@alex728)

An online friend of mine from USA who runs a makerspace obtained load of 16mm telerecordings of some "space age" TV programme for kids as well as a B&H Filmosound modified to work as a telecine (he is preserving and digitising the recordings), and all the film is negative stock (its reversed and corrected for brightness/gamma via his software)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/08/2021 5:43 pm