4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

BT E-mail Accounts

If you have a BT internet e-mail account, this will impact you with regard to registering and receiving Radios-TV site notifications.

The Problem;
Impacts members who have BT internet e-mail addresses. It's not guaranteed you will have problems, but more do than do not. If you register with this site, you will be notified by e-mail from Radios-Tv.co.uk, pretty standard stuff. The Problem is BT have taken it upon themselves to randomly block the Radios-TV domain, so you never receive the e-mail and as such you're never aware your registration has been approved.

I can manually resend the confirmation e-mail and sometimes this works but more often it does not. I have no way of contacting the member to explain. Some contact me via the contact form, but again a response is pointless as BT block it.

This not only impacts new registrations but also some existing members will not be receiving Radios-TV site notifications. The forum sends notification when you have a private message, someone mentions you in a forum post, or a thred you subscribe to has been updated.

Evidence
The server error logs confirm the inability to deliver e-mails to individual BT e-mail inboxes. They are being rejected by BT due to the reason I list below.

Server Logs:

Example bounce back message from BT for both user 1 and user 2

(user 1 e-mail address removed for privacy)
SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.lb.btinternet.com (xxx.xxx.xx.x) reason: 554 Message rejected on 2020/09/29 08:51:19 BST, policy (3.2.1.1) ID (5ED71A51139DFA6F) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM

(user 2 e-mail address removed for privacy)
SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.lb.btinternet.com (xxx.xxx.xx.x) reason: 554 Message rejected on 2020/09/29 08:51:19 BST, policy (3.2.1.1) ID (5ED71A51139DFA6F) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM

A known BT problem
What to do;

You need to send an e-mail to your BT postmaster requesting Radios-TV.co.uk domain is whitelisted and thus unblocked. This thread details the problem. https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Emails-from-my-domain-being-blocked-by-BT-servers/td-p/1790940

Conclusion
To be clear, this is NOT a fault at or of Radios-TV. It is a direct result of the BT internet e-mail provider. A quick search of Google reveals this is a known problem with BT and there are plenty of complaints raised about it.

Services impacted

e-mail notifications are sent for the following:-

• Registration verification
  • Mentions (@xxxx)
  • Threads Subscribed to
  • Post made to a thread you started
  • Private message received
  • Site announcement received

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 29/09/2020 7:51 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

There have been other complaints of various types since the change of mail servers by BT. Twelve months ago BT were having complaints of wrongly labelled Spam mail. Comments on their forums appear to suggest to me that it’s either BT policy or they don’t know how to fix it. I suppose only BT knows what the answer is.

Only cure appears to leave BT mail which is a pain if you have many contacts, only upside if you use one that doesn’t use your ISP it makes moving broadband supplier a little easier. 
Perhaps BT don’t really want to provide an email service and its a “Cinderella “ part of their service.

Just some thoughts, quite happy to be put right if I am wrong.

Frank

Posted : 30/09/2020 6:30 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Bumping this thread.

If you've recently registered here as a new user, and have a BTinternet.com e-mail address, chances are you will never receive the notification, that your forum account has been activated. One such registration occurred today, user "Mirrorlid".

If you have been wondering why you've not received a confirmation, this is why, the problem lies within BT, and is detailed in the first post. If you're reading this, you should be able to login, as your account was approved this morning.

Posted : 14/02/2022 8:13 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Bumping this thread again.

If you've recently registered here as a new user, and have a BTinternet.com e-mail address, chances are you will never receive the notification, that your forum account has been activated. One such registration occurred this evening, user @read.

If you have been wondering why you've not received a confirmation, this is why, the problem lies within BT, and is detailed in the first post. If you're reading this, you should be able to login, as your account was approved, 10mins after registering.

Posted : 22/02/2022 10:11 pm
Share: