Clear all

[Closed] Problems With BT internet E-mail Accounts  

crustytv
Admin
Topic starter
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

BT E-mail Accounts

If you have a BT internet e-mail account, this will impact you with regard to registering and receiving Radios-TV site notifications.

The Problem;
Impacts members who have BT internet e-mail addresses. It's not guaranteed you will have problems but more do than do not. If you register with this site to complete the process you have to verify who you are. This is achieved by us e-mailing you a link for you to verify yourself, pretty standard stuff. The Problem is BT have taken it upon themselves to randomly block the Radios-TV domain, so you never receive the e-mail and as such you can never complete the registration process.

I can manually resend the confirmation e-mail and sometimes this works but more often it does not. I have no way of contacting the member to explain. Some contact me via the contact form but again a response is pointless as BT block it.

This not only impacts new registrations but also some existing members will not be receiving Radios-TV site notifications.

Evidence
The server error logs confirm the inability to deliver e-mails to individual BT e-mail inboxes. They are being rejected by BT due to the reason I list below.

Server Logs:

Example bounce back message from BT for both user 1 and user 2

(user 1 e-mail address removed for privacy)
SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.lb.btinternet.com (xxx.xxx.xx.x) reason: 554 Message rejected on 2020/09/29 08:51:19 BST, policy (3.2.1.1) ID (5ED71A51139DFA6F) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM

(user 2 e-mail address removed for privacy)
SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.lb.btinternet.com (xxx.xxx.xx.x) reason: 554 Message rejected on 2020/09/29 08:51:19 BST, policy (3.2.1.1) ID (5ED71A51139DFA6F) - Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM

A known BT problem
As for what to do;

You need to send an e-mail to your BT postmaster requesting Radios-TV.co.uk domain is whitelisted and thus unblocked. This thread details the problem. https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Emails-from-my-domain-being-blocked-by-BT-servers/td-p/1790940

Conclusion
To be clear, this is NOT a fault at or of Radios-TV. It is a direct result of the BT internet e-mail provider. A quick search of Google reveals this is a known problem with BT and there are plenty of complaints raised about it.

Services impacted

e-mail notifications are sent for the following:-

• Registration verification
  • Mentions (@xxxx)
  • Threads Subscribed to
  • Post made to a thread you started
  • Private message received
  • Site announcement received
3 Replies
Nuvistor
Registered
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter

There have been other complaints of various types since the change of mail servers by BT. Twelve months ago BT were having complaints of wrongly labelled Spam mail. Comments on their forums appear to suggest to me that it’s either BT policy or they don’t know how to fix it. I suppose only BT knows what the answer is.

Only cure appears to leave BT mail which is a pain if you have many contacts, only upside if you use one that doesn’t use your ISP it makes moving broadband supplier a little easier. 
Perhaps BT don’t really want to provide an email service and its a “Cinderella “ part of their service.

Just some thoughts, quite happy to be put right if I am wrong.

freya
Registered
(@freya)
Noble V-Ratter

I am receiving emails again today, an email to the BT postmaster was sent highlighting the issue as described, nothing has been returned but my inbox has a few emails this morning from radios-tv related topics.

crustytv
Admin
Topic starter
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Although its fixed for Stephen, It would appear not fixed for some others, I'm still seeing reports in the error logs for other BT users. It looks like those effected need to do as Stephen did and I advised. A simple e-mail the postmaster@btinternet.com asking for Radios-TV domain to be white-listed for your account. As the problem and solution are known, I see no reason to keep this thread open and as such it is now closed.