[Solved] Forum Software Update; May 2020
Advanced warning: Major forum software update scheduled for 10:30 am today. The forum will be off-line whilst the work is in progress.
Core forum module upgrade completed.
Forum attachments module upgrade completed.
Forum custom fields module upgrade completed.
Edit: Further core update installed Sat 30th May 2020 @08:15
In response to the member who deleted the content of their question, as to what did this fix or improve (the system e-mails me every time there's a post).
1. The purpose of the notice is a log for me to recall when I did the update.
2. If anything untoward happens with forum functionality, members will be aware and help report.This avoids events like the data library fault going unnoticed for over 3 months
3. I started these notifications back in Feb, Mar due to the above. See related topic tags below.
4. I don't go into great granular detail as to what and why as most are backend and would go over most folks heads. I have when a significant user improvement comes along, notified members of the improvement. Examples of which have been, improved quoting, improved messaging integration, improved attachments, the mention feature and member control panel, the list is quite extensive.
5. Once I did a toolbox talk on the new spoiler feature, it played to tumbleweed. A few views and not one single comment.
These updates are maintenance releases provided by the developers. They have to be applied so as to be able to have continued support. Just the same as you have to or should apply your Windows updates. They often include security fixes, bug fixes and others. Occasionally feature improvements to forum functionality, more often backend features.