Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Forum Software Update; March 2020  

Page 1 / 2

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

This ticket is purely a notification, to let you all know the forum module was updated yesterday to the latest release. A number of new front-end & back-end features were added, the usual bug fixes and some optimisations.

Along with the core module, the "poll" module was updated along with the "media embed" module, "Ad banner" module and "Custom field's" module.

The main change you will all notice is the final change this evening, this being login, register and password reset forms have now changed. We are now using what we should have been using all along, but due to a bug I had to get creative and use third party modules, this is now fixed and the third party modules removed.

I've tested it all this evening and it appears to be working as intended, time will tell if there are any new bugs.

22 Replies
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter

No problems from my end! - I noticed one or two very subtle changes at login, and strangely enough last night, I noted that in one thread, everyone's posts all carried the same date/time stamp (25/04/20, 9:59pm) even though we hadn't actually reached 9:59pm at that time. A strange time/date glitch perhaps?

From a purely functional point of view, all is, and was, working as expected.

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder
Posted by: @katie-bush

strangely enough last night, I noted that in one thread, everyone's posts all carried the same date/time stamp (25/04/20, 9:59pm) even though we hadn't actually reached 9:59pm at that time. A strange time/date glitch perhaps?

Ah I can explain that one, It was me. I needed to add an extra option to the poll running in Covid-19 thread. Unfortunately once a poll is running you cannot edit it not even me. So I got funky and created a new thread with the extra poll option, migrated all the posts into the new thread, but accidentally ticked a box to normalise all posts to the same timestamp DOH! 😊

Thought no one would notice, shows that your eyes are on the mend Marion 👍 

Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter

Ah, so that explains that! - Glad you said which thread it was, otherwise I might have spent the rest of this evening scouring the forum to find it.

I wish i could say my eyes were better, but they're not particularly. I use five different sets of glasses during a day, to suit what ever tasks I'm engaged in. Funnily enough, I just got a letter today notifying me that my upcoming eye test has been cancelled because of Coronavirus.

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder
Posted by: @katie-bush

From a purely functional point of view, all is, and was, working as expected.

Let's hope it stays that way.

My stress levels rise every time I have to do software updates, invariably there's always something I miss or a new hideous bug gets introduced. Last two biggies were the data library working for me and a couple of other members but the vast majority of library members couldn't see a damn thing.

The other one last year went unnoticed for months, that was folks groups randomly changing. For a few weeks even the mods were not mods and my admin account became corrupted, that gave me a sleepless night whilst trying to figure it out. I had to recover the Db in the end. Just when I thought I fixed the problem It occurred again in January. Turned out it was another module randomly conflicting after its update, I dumped it and since the all has been OK.

The one for this time was Youtube embeds stopped working, turned out to be a conflict with a Blog module.

Nuvistor
Registered
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter

Upgrades, software or hardware usually meant overtime in some shape of form but they were all out of hours. Once had to move a system between two buildings, moved over a weekend. Still got a week out in Iceland for that job, can’t remember if it was summer or winter, used to go a few times a year.

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Found a bug this morning with attachment thumbnail presentation.

When viewing a forum post on a desktop, the attachment thumbnails appear correctly (see below)

ev1

However, when the same post was viewed on a mobile or tablet, the Thumbnails no longer appeared as thumbnails but auto resize themselves from a thumbnail and become out of focus (see below). The fault could be recreated on a desktop by dragging the browser window in, so it had the same dimensions as a mobile/tablet. As you did so, you could see the thumbnail resize going from good to bad. (see below)

ev2

This impacted all threads and all posts across the entire forum. Not a problem as such when viewing via a desktop, but looked awful via a mobile.

Ticket was logged with the developers, within less than 10 mins they had provided the fix.

The forum cache was deleted, I then checked on a few devices and all is now working as before, thumbnails are presented correctly on mobile devices. You may need to refresh your local cache, press Ctrl+F5 (twice) on the frontend before checking to reload the update. Mobile phones are a more tricky because mobile browsers have a hard cache, you'll not be able to see the change immediately. Though you can check via incognito mode.

ev4
Nuvistor
Registered
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter

I did see it but thought it was lower resolution to save bandwidth, selecting the photo produced a clear image.

Fixed now. 

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Lucky I spotted it as I rarely if ever check in via a mobile. I just happened to do so this morning, to check the new login looked OK for a mobile, that's how I then stumbled upon the thumbnail problem.

This is a similar scenario to the Data library fault we had going unreported for three months or more. By folk not reporting something out of the ordinary it goes under my radar.

Cathovisor
Registered
(@cathovisor)
Famed V-Ratter

The only oddity I've seen on my phone is when going back a page, I get a flash of user's avatars full-frame? That could be an Opera-ism of course, but the browser is set to clear its cache on exit, so...?

Page 1 / 2