[Sticky] Logging in Registering & Resetting Password  

Introduction

It would seem many of the new folk arriving back from our old forum are having trouble either logging in and as a result are being blocked by the firewall for too many failed login attempts.

Perhaps I or this thread, can be of some assistance.

Below are the processes clearly laid out in logical steps, I hope it is of help. If you know of anyone struggling, please point them to this Help Desk article in the hope it will assist them. Although not relevant to returning members, I've included the registration so this post can serve as a catch-all article.

Please Note: Returning members of the old VRAT forum, when your accounts were merged from the old site into this forum as part of the data migration, old passwords were not part of that migration. Your accounts require password resetting to gain access.

Note:
The following steps have been tested yesterday from beginning to end as a normal user, no admin privileges. All scenarios generated all the correct responses and associated e-mails, resulting in a new account and an old account resetting its password.  

1. Login

Note 1: This assumes you have an account.  Believe it or not I've had folk complain they cannot login only to find they've never registered in the first place, they mistakenly believed they did have an account, or their account was removed long ago due to in activity and little or no posts ever made. If you are unsure that you have an account please check the members list, you can search it and with just part of the username if you're unsure of the exact name. For example your account might have been "Dropper50K" but cannot remember, just that it was drop something. Well just type in drop in the members list search box, it will pattern match for you.  If you are not sure of your password, follow the procedures detailed later in this article.

Note 2: Returning Vrat members from the old forum should be aware that their migrated account passwords will need resetting. To reset your password see section 3 below.

1. Click on the login/register link up top on the menu bar
  2. Type in your Radios-TV/VRAT username or e-mail as the name
  3. Type in your password, be certain it is correct with any special characters that you include.
  4. Check the tick box " I'm a Human"
  5. Click login, you will now be logged in

The firewall monitors visitor interaction and will inform you of any transgression you are committing before you are temporarily blocked from accessing the entire site. It is time dependant so stop whatever its is you're doing to cause the transgression. Take the opportunity to use the contact form and ask for assistance. Alternatively wait 6-7 mins, use that time to ask yourself what you might be doing wrong, in 9 out of 10 cases it is user error. Its quite amazing, in the password scenario I will set it manually and they log in fine, nothing wrong with the account everything wrong with them recalling their password.

2. Register

1. Click on the login/register link on the top menu bar.
  2. At the bottom of the page you will see a "register" link, click on this
  3. Now you are on the register page, type in a user name between 4 - 12 characters in length. Provide a current and valid e-mail address. Type in a password that must meet the requirement of "medium" strength as shown on the indicator. Finally tick you accept GDPR and click on the captcha, to complete this part of the process, hit register.
  4. The page will then state in a green rectangular box that an e-mail has been sent with a link. Until you click on the link within the e-mail, your account will not be confirmed and hence not active.
  5. Check your in-box for the e-mail, open it and click on the link within. This will take you to a page that states your account has now been confirmed, you will also receive a welcome e-mail.
  6. You may now login, do so by clicking on the login/register link on the top menu bar. Fill in your username and the password you chose when registering and you will be logged in.
  7. You are now free to navigate the website and post on the forum.

Note: If you do not click on the activation link provided in the registration e-mail, your account will never move from pending to activated.

If you do not confirm your account by clicking on the link provided in the e-mail and thereby activating your account, your account will be removed within 1 week.

If you're not receiving e-mails from the registration process see the notes below in section 3 regarding what might be the cause and the actions you should take.

3. Reset password when its forgotten.

Scenarios: you're not logged in, you've forgotten your password or you're an old Vratter returning from a long absence. Either way, this is how to change your password. Be patient, wait for the e-mails and follow the instructions to the letter.

Note: Weak passwords are not permitted

1. Click on the login/register link on the top menu bar
  2. At the bottom of the page you will see "password reset", click on it
  3. You will now be on a page asking for your username or e-mail, type in either and then click "get new password"
  4. The page will display a little green rectangular box which states "Check your e-mail for the confirmation link."
  5. Check your e-mail
  6. The e-mail will contain a specific link for you and you alone, it is time dependant meaning it will expire. 
  7. Click on the link within the e-mail and it will take you to your account password reset form
  8. You must now enter in a password that is at least 8 characters long and is of medium strength and repeat it in the second box. Once done hit reset password.
  9. A green rectangular box appears stating "Your password has been successfully changed!"
  10. You will also receive an e-mail stating you have successfully reset your password.
  11. Now login using your newly created password

Note 1: The long link you get sent in the e-mail IS NOT THE PASSWORD! as some seem to believe, the link needs to be clicked on. This will then take you to a page to set you new password as detailed above.

Note 2: Due to site security enhancements you might be forced by the system to change your password due to it being weak. If you change it then subsequently forget it, you will have to go through the password change process again. 

Note on not receiving e-mails
If you do not receive e-mails it could be for a couple of reasons.

• It is worth checking your spam folder as it may have been placed in there. Its also worth adding the Radios-TV domain as a trusted source to ensure you get deliveries.
  • It could be your that your e-mail address held here is incorrect, accidentally mis-typed or has been corrupted and therefore e-mails are going astray.
  • If in doubt use the contact form. Explain your problem, provide your username and the e-mail that you believe should be associated with your account, I can then do the necessary checks and get back to you.

3.a I'm Logged in OK, can I change password while logged in.

Answer? Yes.

1. Hover mouse over "My Profile" which is up top on the blue top menu bar
  2. You will see the option "Account", click on this.
  3. You will now be on your Radios-TV/Vrat account page.
  4. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the password boxes, fill them in
  5. Enter in your old password
  6. Enter in your new password
  7. Confirm your new password
  8. Finally click "Save Changes"
  9. Your new password is now active and can be used.

Finally

If by any chance you make a mistake, fall foul of the servers firewall and find yourself blocked, be patient, it will reset. The firewall does inform you of any transgression you are committing and  how many are left before you are temporarily blocked.

If in doubt use the contact for to seek assistance.

Hope all of the above is of some use.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
VRAT-Tube: Please subscribe and help the channel grow.

The firewall logs reveal some old vrat 1.0 members are still having trouble gaining access to the forum. There are links on the login page to this thread and a link to the contact form for assistance, despite this it would seem folk are using neither. I repeat the advice, should you wish to gain access to the forum follow the advice detailed above. If you're reading it, still having trouble and prefer direct help, then please consider using the contact form here, I don't bite and will help resolve problems.

Three Quick Simple actions: 

• 1. First of all check you have an account here by searching the members list. If you don't find your account then you will need to register, (see first post of this thread above, section 2). If you do find your account then follow step 2 below.

• 2. Reset your password. If you don't receive a reset e-mail check your spam folder. If there's nothing there chances are the e-mail held with your account here is incorrect, therefore step 3 below.

• 3. Use the contact form to ask for assistance.

We are using cookies on our website

Please confirm, if you accept our tracking cookies. You can also decline the tracking, so you can continue to visit our website though you may find that certain features of Radios-TV website may not function properly without the aid of cookies. Our cookie policy

Working

Please Login or Register