Notifications
Clear all

Member Permissions to change Avatar etc

ChasL001
Registered
Topic starter
(@chasl001)
New V-Ratter

HI, can't seem to find an FAQ about this. How do I gain permission to change my Avatar?

Also parts of the site say MEMBERS ONLY, am I not a member? I can login and Post.

Thanks

Chas

2 Replies
crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Hi Chas,

anyone can change their avatar, no specific permission required. To do this you must change it all via your profile page, from there you can also change your banner, password, e-mail etc. Just click on the settings wheel, this can be found in your user control panel (see attached pics).

set
pro

There may have been a lag on the system, as all new registrations are first put into an initial group. The first post requires moderation, then once approved, are free to post. With regard to areas you are unable to see, would you be seeing the message as shown below?

restrict

This is present on some services until a member exceeds 5 posts. After which point they are moved to another group, then systems like private messaging, upload services and the city & Guilds areas, are opened up. I believe this was all covered in the rules, though I've not checked for a while.

The other main  service, which will say “Restricted Access”, would be the technical library. This again is covered in the rules when you joined. If there is something else giving the message, please let me know what and I will investigate.

reg

If it is the Technical Library you're trying to access, I had to adopt this “wait and see” stance. This was due to us having a lot of people joining just to get free “to them” not free to me, service data, and never to be seen again.

Running this site, paying the storage costs, licence fees, buying the service data and scanning it, costs both time and money. Rather than charging like some sites, all I've ever asked in return from folk, is to become part of the community and help it grow. When some folk have discovered this requirement, a few have been downright rude and even aggressive, many others though, supportive and understand, they  go on to become actively participating members. In circumstances such as the latter, they are, more often than not, fast tracked to full library access long before the criteria. The former lot, after throwing their insults and toys, never return, proving the point as to why the rule exists.

A prime example of that type of behaviour can be found in the second link.

Apologies for the long-winded reply, but I felt it did need a little clarification. If there is anything you're still unsure of please ask.

Regards

Chris

ChasL001
Registered
Topic starter
(@chasl001)
New V-Ratter

Hi Crusty,

Well very odd. I tried that and everything I clicked on said I needed permission. I thought it might be that I had to make a minimum number of posts before I could make those changes.

Anyhow, just tried and lo and behold I could - and have - added an Avatar, a header and some info, so whatever you checked it seems to have opened those features for me.

Perfectly understand about the technical library. I ran a forum for over fifteen years and it never paid for itself, so I hope you can somehow accept donations towards the running costs. 

Thanks

Chas