Notifications
Clear all

New Feature PM system

crustytv
Admin
Topic starter
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Through necessity not choice, and as part of the cost-cutting, the Private messaging system was replaced last week (12th May 2022). This was also an opportunity to retire the rather less than reliable service data, donation system, and combine them into one service, the new free PM system. Thanks to Rich (Marconi_MPT4) helping me test its functions.

For more information on the functions of the new PM system, please read the FAQ here.

Five days have passed without comment, not because of it being so wonderful, but as hardly anyone visits, hence the PM system is, equally, hardly used.

Note:

The old system licence has now expired, and is due to be deleted on Friday 20th May 2022. If anyone has important info in the old system they wish to retrieve (e.g. members telephone numbers, home addresses or e-mail address), please contact me and I will arrange to load the old system.

This is on the proviso you get what you need there and then, I will not leave the old system up longer than it is necessary to retrieve what you need. Therefore, make yourself available to contact me and complete the task at the same time.

Topic Tags
12 Replies
Doz
 Doz
Registered
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter

Ah, I did try to message Wayne last week, and it didn't work. I did wonder why, but I had another method of communication, so I went with that ... talking of which, @WayneD can you send the carrier pigeon back? 😀

crustytv
Admin
Topic starter
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

It may have been as I transitioned from the old to the new. I would suggest those of you left at vrat have a play with the new system and perhaps pm me to test it out for yourselves. I've communicated with Rich ( aka Marconi...). FAQ give you an idea on how to use it.

1 Reply
Doz
 Doz
Registered
(@doz)

Noble V-Ratter

@crustytv Same issue now as I had over the weekend... I get a page that's inviting me to "start typing a message", but refuses to let me type...

crustytv
Admin
Topic starter
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Thanks Doz, I'll check, be back with an update shortly

2 Replies
crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)

Vrat Founder

Nope, just logged in as you, and it worked perfectly fine, I could type and send. (see attached).

pm7

That suggests it might be a problem local to you, though we need to be certain. What are you using? Need more people to try it. It worked for Marconi_MPT4 (Rich), and my test user.

Doz
 Doz
Registered
(@doz)

Noble V-Ratter

@crustytv Windows 7 + Chrome
Ubuntu 20.04 Chrome, chromium and firefox.

WayneD
Registered
(@wayned)
Reputable V-Ratter

I tried messaging @malcscott about the doublers but I don't think he got the message. I sent the same message on both the old PM system and the RatChat.

crustytv
Admin
Topic starter
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Hi Wayne, none of that is related at all to the new PM system.

By the way, the message you sent on the old system, was delivered to malcs in-box. The old system's log files confirmed this. The Rat Chat was also sent. Malc rarely logs in here now, and I suspect he never bothered to check either.

Doz
 Doz
Registered
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter
messaging

I get this far 

crustytv
Admin
Topic starter
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

OK so you're trying to send a PM via the second method, as detailed in the FAQ. That being via the shortcut method, i.e you've gone to the user's profile you wish to message, and clicked on the Private message button.

So scroll down the screen, there should be a message box. All you're showing me is what I've highlighted in the red box, you should have the text box at the bottom of the page (see below).

pm8

If you don't see the text box, I'm sure it is there as when I log in as you, it is. Then please try the first method of sending a pm as detailed in the FAQ to see if that works.

Doz
 Doz
Registered
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter

Gotcha. 

crustytv
Admin
Topic starter
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

Got your message, OH dear, so that was it, not scrolling down. OK no fault with the system then. Also, it's nothing to do with your mouse wheel.

As we've established, the message box was there all along. The mouse wheel will work, the mouse pointer has to be out of the "start message" notification box, that is not a scrollable field, the mouse has to be on "the page", just move it to the right a little, and you will see your wheel works fine.

pm9