[Solved] Unable to access user profiles?
Just tried it on the iPhone again, and it’s mysteriously working fine now! I’ve not done anything to it, such as cookie clearing or cache clearing. I think there may be a rouge gremlin on the loose!!
Putting my thinking hat on....
Thursday 2nd April there were two scheduled updates for two modules, these happened before lunchtime. Its quite possible this issue was present for some members as early as Thursday morning. However, as you had not visited yours or other members profiles, you were likely none the wiser to the problem existing. Catho is possibly in the same camp but found it today (Friday), prompting you to also find it when he pointed it out.
After any updates I religiously purge the server cache, purge the scripting cache and flush all the forum caches of which there are many (member, object, memory), then flush my local devices cache.
Having a local copy of a webpage helps in quick loading, it sounds great and it does speed things up but it can cause oddities such as experienced by some today, a real pain in the butt. When making changes to a website, the caching mechanism can cause confusion. Some changed elements on a page may load and some may not because the browser is still using the older, cached version of the site rather than the updated version.
To troubleshoot this, I usually ask folk to try hard reloading their browser which will bypass the cache on your system and re-download everything from the web server, thereby ensuring that you are viewing the most recent version of the web page. In essence this is what I asked Mikey66 to do by asking him to use "incognito" mode, it totally by-passed his local copy, forced a retrieve from the server and the site worked OK.
I'm still not sure why your iPhone and tablet didn't work at first, but do now! I gave up trying to understand Apple products a long time ago.
I pay for Pro-server (once described to me by my account manager as purchasing a parking lot, then placing just one car in it) hosting, according to site system checks, its all running optimally and not generating any aborted or delayed requests in the logs, here's just one of them.
Anyway, waffled as usual, just glad its working for you now, hopefully it will soon for Catho as well. But as I said above there's nothing I can do this end.
It’s a long time since I did anything like this, does the forum have a time limit on how long to keep cached info before requesting a refresh from the server?
Was it the “Cache-Control” directive?
Apologies if I am way off with the information.
Its way more complex than thinking of it just in "forum" terms alone. This is a WordPress installation, I designed its functionality by making use of software integration, using multiple packages to appear as one unified entity. There are multiple caches and optimisations at the backend. Its fairly complex, there are things you have to exclude from cache. The details will likely make folks eyes glaze over and out of scope of this 'Ticket' so I won't bore folk with the granular details.
Think of it as an onion, the core being WordPress, all the layers (services) various applications, on the way to the surface having co-interdependency. The surface being what you see and think of as "The forum".
e.g. Whilst you may think your account is handled by the forum it is in fact a wordpress account. The management and presentation of which, controlled by another 3rd-party piece of software.
But to answer in part your question, I have the timings on some technical elements set to refresh every 24hours, others more frequent, unless a substantial change is made in which case I manually refresh. None of the threads, posts or side-bar recent top 10's are cached, its all real-time live. Blog is entirely cached but set to refresh individual page when changed or a comment is made on it.
As this ticket now appears resolved, I'm closing it. Any further problems folk can always pm me to re-open it.