Uploading oversize ...

Notifications
Clear all

New Feature [Solved] Uploading oversize images?

1100man
Registered
Topic starter
(@1100man)
Busy V-Ratter

I'm sure there is a more appropriate part of the forum to pose this question, but I can't find it!!

When uploading a picture to a post, as far as I can tell, there is a maximum file size of 1Mb. The picture files on my camera are rather larger than that!

I was experimenting the other night with uploading pictures and got the message ' file size too big' or words to that effect.

There are even smaller file size limits over on UKVRR, but somehow the forum software 'prunes' them to the size it wants when I upload them.

Is there a way round this on Vrat, or do I somehow need to reduce the file size myself. This is where my very shaky knowledge of using technology peters out....! I've no idea how I would do that!

Many thanks

Nick  

7 Replies
1 Reply
Nuvistor
Registered
(@nuvistor)

Famed V-Ratter

@1100man
I just resize before uploading, depending what OS you are using there are a variety of applications that will perform that function. Obviously crop the image of unwanted detail first, that could be enough otherwise pass the file through a suitable application for your OS.

You may even find one that’s supplied with the OS.

UKVRRR used to have the same problem if my memory is correct but something was sorted out. 

I don’t find it a problem and resize before posting.

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder
Posted by: @1100man

I'm sure there is a more appropriate part of the forum to pose this question, but I can't find it!!

Hi Nick, the support section is where you raise functional issues. Look at the bottom of the forum page. There you will find four areas to raise support tickets, "The Forum", "Website/blog", "Data library" and "other".

Is there a way round this on Vrat, or do I somehow need to reduce the file size myself.

Unfortunately you have to do it. There are many ways to skin this cat and Frank has covered some. There are apps for phones and apps for desktops. Then there are the online websites where you can freely go, upload your photo and get it quickly resized, so you can upload it here.

There are even smaller file size limits over on UKVRR, but somehow the forum software 'prunes' them to the size it wants when I upload them.

This is a feature that has been on request at the software developers, and we are just awaiting the day when they get around to implementing it. How long that will be I've no idea, some they do quickly others not. Rest assured when it is available I will install the update. I installed a new release last week, but unfortunately it did not include it.

2 Replies
1100man
Registered
(@1100man)

Busy V-Ratter

Hi Chris & Frank,

Many thanks for the information. Looks like I'm going on another steep learning curve! I'll see what Google has to say about it and go from there.

Cheers

Nick

Cathovisor
Registered
(@cathovisor)

Illustrious V-Ratter

@1100man

https://picresize.com/

It's hardly a "steep learning curve" if you can switch a computer on, sign up to a fourm and post on it, and find pictures to post now is it? Or is it?

Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter

I just use "Shrink Pic" - Downloaded for free, it runs in the background and it means you're not relying on third parties to do it for, nor risking the returned file being corrupted or carrying any malware back with it. It also means your pictures stay with you, and don't get hi-jacked by anyone.

it's a tiny little applet, and is just so handy to have around, but there are plenty of other similar applets as well.

sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter

Yes indeed. I use something called 'Jpeg Sizer'. It's obsolete now with no back-up or updates but it works so well I keep using it and so far Windows updates have not rendered it unusable. Typically a 2.5meg Jpeg is downsized to just under 200k with no loss of quality. There are many options that will reduce to much smaller sizes. 

Just Google around and you'll find something that suits....and it isn't a steep learning curve!

crustytv
Admin
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder

@1100man

Hi Nick you and others will be pleased to hear this problem has now gone away. No more resizing images before you upload 😎 as I've implemented Autosizing, see link below.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/site-news-desk/image-attachments-auto-resize-now-available/

As this is now resolved, I'm closing this ticket.