Share:
Notifications

1974 Philips N1500: Finally!  

Page 2 / 14

Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

You're a brave man Chris, BTW do you have any prerecorded material for both the 1500 and 1700? 

If you do have problems with the lacing cord and gearbox some ingenious person has come up with a fix here, a bit crude but it seems to work.

I did hear of the clock controls becoming live in early 1500s, I'm presuming the affected machine would have all been recalled?

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 5:23 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: Jayceebee

[...]  BTW do you have any prerecorded material for both the 1500 and 1700? 

Hi John,

Yes I've sourced 3 x LVC60, 1 x LVC90, 1 x LVC120 and 1 x LVC 150 tapes also a couple of cleaning tapes which appear unused or at least very little used. Some tapes have labels stating Star Trek (kirk) TV series, Starsky & Hutch etc but most have nothing written so its a mystery and intriguing to ponder what might be on them.

I've no idea if they are recorded on VCR or VCR-LP, I have this N1500 and two N1700 machines so the plan is to attempt to get all working then find out what's what with the tapes, a not insignificant task but it should be fun and educational.

tapes

You're a brave man Chris

Not at all, some might say ignorant of the task ahead and they're most likely correct, however that's never stopped me before and in some respects its an advantage to not know the full extent of the pain ahead.  ? 

If you do have problems with the lacing cord and gearbox some ingenious person has come up with a fix here, a bit crude but it seems to work.

Yes indeed I found that and was very impressed with the ingenuity, really hope I don't have to go to that extent though.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 6:17 pm
MurphyV310
(@murphyv310)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered

You'll be looking forward to the eddy current servos, nice old technology actually.

Cheers Trevor
Radiomuseum Member. Collection HERE

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 8:10 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

And that's where having known good test recordings are a huge advantage. You would be chasing your tale if you had both record and play faults and no test tapes. 

Are replacement pinch rollers available?

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 8:37 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Are replacement pinch rollers available?

Short answer is no, spare parts other than belt kits seem non-existent, a thorough scoring of European sources might yield something but unlikely. If a problem then refurbishment or ingenuity with a substitute rubber will be required.

Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/12/2018 8:42 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Started cleaning the melted belts, my god what a mess its in more places than I thought, even in the belt brushes and on the eddy drums.

Any way I digress, what I'm a little perplexed by is one belt location. Anyone familiar with or can remember the location of the N1500 belts? Well one in particular.

I'm having trouble figuring out how just one of the belt fits, from the plans two are easy and obvious, however one is not, I can see where one end goes but not the other.

belt
belt2

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2018 2:10 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Not to worry, I found a picture showing it

N1500 7

Now the goo removal begins in earnest.

goo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2018 2:42 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

First wheel cleaned up, thankfully IPA works well once you've removed the worst of the goo. Getting it off the PCB is going to be fun!

dgoo 1
dgoo 2

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2018 3:31 pm
sideband
(@sideband)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

One wonders how belts can disintegrate into such a gooey mess.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2018 8:19 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

From reading other online sources (unconfirmed) the recurring thought is Philips and a few others in this period had either not perfected their own curing processes or the companies they sourced the belts from had not done so.

Its actually very evil stuff and unless cleaned off thoroughly before fitting new, will clearly prevent the mechanism from functioning as intended. The trick is also to not get it on your hands, one chap on youtube ended up plastering it all over the cassette player he was working on that had suffered the same problem, it was painful to watch.

In this VCR the belts have all completely perished and wherever they landed have then proceeded to revert to tar. Whilst this for the most part is annoyance and they have landed mostly on the PCB and components, inevitably the pulleys and drums have a fair share and these must be totally clean. I can only hope remnants have not found their way into extremely difficult to get at drive bearings/gears or mechanics. Time will tell as I progress with the repair, its certainly a long laborious messy task.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2018 8:35 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: sideband

One wonders how belts can disintegrate into such a gooey mess.....

That was my thought.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/12/2018 10:37 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)

You're a brave man Chris, BTW do you have any prerecorded material for both the 1500 and 1700? 

If you do have problems with the lacing cord and gearbox some ingenious person has come up with a fix here, a bit crude but it seems to work.

I did hear of the clock controls becoming live in early 1500s, I'm presuming the affected machine would have all been recalled?

Indeed the clock could fail "live" ... nasty. It's why mine has a later clock...

20140802 135941
ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2018 12:27 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

From CES issue 40.

CES40

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2018 10:09 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Mine is well beyond the 76,000.

serial

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/12/2018 11:34 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

?

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/12/2018 11:06 am
Page 2 / 14