1982 Hitachi VIP202P C.E.D Videodisc Player

5 Posts
3 Users
3 Likes
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Needing a break from those hideously complex Philips VLP600 laserdisc players, something turned up in the post today to provide the much need diversion my brain yearns for.

That diversion being another Hitachi C.E.D. videodisc player, this time instead of a Hitachi VIP201P I repaired a couple of weeks ago, we have a Hitachi VIP202P. "What's the difference?" I hear you ask, well nothing other than the 202 was a wired remote player whereas the 201 was an infrared remote, other than that, they are identical in every way. Neither player came with their respective remotes but thankfully this matters not as each player has full function controls on the front of the unit.

h202 1
h202 2
h202 3

I spotted this on e-bay last week and made an offer which was accepted. Now I bought this purely for spares so as to keep the first player going and especially for the hugely unobtanium, all important stylus.  However as so often happens this one turns out to be in mint condition and not having suffered the damage that I had to repair on the first player.

h202 4
h202 5

This one just needs two new belts the main platter drive belt is visibly sagging and the linear arm drive belt although looking ok, when prodded deforms and is slow to return to normal. A fairly straight forward task which will be tackled in due course and hopefully a little later I can see how the electronics perform and if most importantly, there's life in the stylus.

h202 6
h202 7

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 23/04/2019 11:16 am
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Prominent Member Registered

Hi Chris,

Can't seem to PM you. Name doesn't pop up. Can you PM me?

TTFN,

Doz.

Posted : 23/04/2019 12:28 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Well I have to say I'm impressed with the C.E.D format and the players, after changing the belts and lubricating the gears, its working very well. C.E.D may have been the poor mans cousin back in the early 80's and lost to out to laser, however the discs and the players seem to have stood the test of time and faired far better than the first generation Philips laserdisc players.

The evidence speaks for itself, all over the web countless threads about dead door stop Philips VLP600/700's, e-bay littered with numerous dead non functional VLP600/700's and many commanding ridiculous prices to boot.

Below, the VIP202P showing one of my fave 80's sci-fi's

hit a
hit b
hit c
hit d
hit e
hit f
hit g
hit h
hit i

Posted : 23/04/2019 12:39 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Topic starter

Posted by: Doz

Hi Chris,

Can't seem to PM you. Name doesn't pop up. Can you PM me?

TTFN,

Doz.

Hi Andy, you can pm me its covered in " Using the PM system" in the FAQ section here see the note at the foot of the post? 

Posted : 23/04/2019 12:41 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Reputable Member Registered

From what I've heard CEDs seemed to get a bad reputation for poor quality control on the earliest discs, not to mention the limited availability of stylii to keep existing ones going.

Without the niche of film buffs & early karaoke machines CED didn't have a chance to make an impression.

Posted : 23/04/2019 12:48 pm
Share: