betamax tapes

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

I just saw the comments on transferring on videotape formats from one format to another.I would like to know is have any one on here tried this idea ,using a .VHS ,tape to put into betamax tape shells ,so giving a new betamax tape .I have one question how is the leader tape on betamax joined onto the tape or is it a metallic coating ,vhs leader tape is translucent reguards David

Posted : 31/01/2015 4:10 pm
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered

The beginning and end of a Betamax tape is a metallic foil strip spliced onto each end of the tape. On VHS tapes, it's a clear plastic strip. The magnetic recording tape is pretty much the same for both systems, so it is possible to replace the worn-out recording tape in a Betamax cassette with new VHS tape.

Assuming you already have an old Betamax tape that you want to rebuild, you can re-use the existing metallic foil leader tape. Just cut off the old magnetic recording tape from where it joins the foil, then splice the new VHS recording tape onto it and wind the new VHS tape onto the old Betamax spool. This will be time-consuming unless you have a motorised rewinder - a Betamax L-750 contains approximately 222 metres of tape!

Before going to such trouble, consider buying used Betacam oxide tapes, which work very well in Betamax machines (not Betacam SP tapes which are metal and won't work), or looking for new old stock Betamax tapes - there are still some around.

Posted : 31/01/2015 6:12 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)

The Beta end-sensor is not optical like VHS, It acts on a metallic portion near the end similar to the Philips, although in a different way.

A very basic 'metal-detector' is used that picks up the applied ally tinfoil strip near the ends of the tape--a better system IMO than either the Philips electro-mechanical or the VHS Optical.

I doubt there's any serious difference between VHS and Beta actual tape or coatings as they were both made/designed/available at the same time, so apart from replacing faulty/degraded/broken tape there would be no advantage in changing.

IF you have tape oxide shedding--You can always Bake it to revitalise the binder.... :thumb

Posted : 31/01/2015 6:18 pm
Alastair
(@alastair)

Forgot to add--

Tape Baking, how to.

Wind the tape fully onto take-up spool so its Tail Out, make sure its nicely Flat Wound and remove the reels from the cassette.

Place in a heated vessel that maintains 65-70 deg. C for 3-4 hours--You may need to make up something that is reasonably temperature controlled, ie an insulated box, PID Controller and say, 100W lamp.

Turn heat off and allow to cool naturally for 24 hours. then refit reels to cassette and re-wind as normal. This procedure should restore the adhesion of the oxide layer by the binder and minimise oxide shedding.

This procedure is sometimes used with large and professional 1 and 2" open reel tapes, providing they are Polyester base rather than very old Triacitate tapes.

Posted : 01/02/2015 4:55 pm
davyrocket2
(@davyrocket2)
Trusted Member Banned
Topic starter

i have some tapes that have suffered the dreaded white mold on them .I do keep my tapes in dry conditions but i bought some, and they included some poor condition ones included . I was made aware of this but had to buy as a job lot to get the rest,reguards David

Posted : 01/02/2015 8:07 pm
Share: