Ferguson videostar 3292

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Group Deactivated Account
Topic starter

Hi guys, I’ve recently purchased this video as spares and was trying to fix it. Although I don’t have brand new belts, nor have any idea where to buy belt kits for these recorders because signal Uk have ceased trading.

I’ve been using old belts which I’ve kept over the years and turning them inside out. 

When the machine is switched on, everything is running automatically. Nothing happens when I switch on and off so the machine has to be switched off from the mains for the machine to stop.

Don’t know what I’ve done. 

Rewind and forward works, but the spindle doesn’t move when you press play. 

I would appreciate any help to resolve this problem.

Posted : 11/04/2019 2:32 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Hi and welcome to Vrat. This does sound as though one of the drive belts from the capstan motor is slipping, probably the relay belt on the top side of the deck. Unfortunately the supply of belts for this and similar models model appear to have dried up, certainly the last company that I knew could supply them, Telespares.com.au is now showing no stock. If you didn't already know the JVC version on which the 3292 is based is the HR-3300.

Have a look at this thread for info on the later 3V16, the mechanics are similar and may be of help.

John.

Posted : 11/04/2019 7:55 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Hi John, thank you for replying back to me. The video feels like the sensor is on without the tape carriage. I didn’t see any belt slippage, so I’m not sure why it’s automatically running like that. The machine is running even when the front switch is off. 

Also, I noticed that the heads are not moving when you press play. 

Posted : 12/04/2019 6:04 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I note you posted over on the blog page for the 3V16, I have responded but it's best keep all help requests confined to this forum thread. For completeness I'll post it here too ? 

Posted By Crustytv on the blog

Well one thing at a time, you need to start with the basics and check all you’re voltage rails are present and correct. Checking your rails is always the starting point in any repair. As to why its in constant spool free run? It’s probably related to voltages incorrect or missing to the stop solenoid. The fact it won’t operate “play” is a good clue, it thinks its in another state. When play is pressed a 12V supply should be presented to mech control board, the head won’t spin up if the unit won’t lace up and it won’t lace up whilst its in free run. So as I say, you’re likely looking for a single/multiple related voltage faults or a protection circuits in operation. Better to join and use the forum to seek assistance rather than to post on the blog as its not really the right place. Hope that helps.

p.s.
I don’t know your level of experience but if you are not familiar with the relevant dangers present when operating a device with the covers off and taking live voltage readings, then you best leave well alone. Seek out a competent engineer who knows the risk and can fix it for you. Ignoring this advice if you are inexperienced may lead to injury or worse.

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 12/04/2019 11:01 am
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Thank you for responding back to me crusty. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of electronics and don’t know anyone who can repair these machines. I only know how to clean the heads, clean the tape path, change belts ( except for c5 and 7 Betamax) and idler tyres.

Posted : 12/04/2019 11:57 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted By: Fergusonvideostar8

I have no knowledge of electronics and don’t know anyone who can repair these machines. I only know how to clean the heads, clean the tape path, change belts

Unfortunately that may present you with a significant problem, as beyond the obvious mechanics, VCR's have a vast amount of complex circuitry involved.

An analogy is like having a vintage car that won't work, changing the tyres, fan belt and steam cleaning the engine bay, is not likely to get it working again. Its also very similar to the Radio repair scenario new starters often face, in that they change all the capacitors in the radio expecting it to solve the "dead radio" but it still doesn't work and are surprised by it. Life in electronics ain't always that simple I'm afraid and VCR's are probably one of the most complex vintage electronics items you'll come across.

I've got over 14 VCR's in my collection and only one responded to belt changes and new idler, the rest have had complex electronic faults to diagnose and then fix, some I'm still heavily working on to solve. See what others come up with, John (Jayceebee) and Baz (Red_to_Black) are the resident forum VCR guru's, if they can't suggest anything I doubt anyone else can, there may be something they can add beyond my doom and gloom. ? 

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 12/04/2019 12:08 pm
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Topic starter

Fully appreciate your honesty Crusty. Wish someone told me what you told me before because it would have saved me a lot of money and heartache. 

Dont know now anyone who would repair these machines.

Posted : 13/04/2019 8:38 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

In my shop the first VHS video recorder taken into sales stock was a Ferguson 3292, that was in the autumn of 1978. At a retail price of £630 it was a difficult product to convince prospective customers they should buy one.  Anyway, the machine was eventually sold at a price to compete with the likes of Comet and all the other discounters which by the end of the seventies had messed up our industry. My customer was delighted with his new VCR, but horror! in March the next year the machine broke down, no function key action. VCR returned to the workshop and without any delay placed on the bench.  The 3292 doesn't have any microprocessors, instead lots of TTL logic.  Working my way through all the gates in the function logic the fault was found. The cassette lamp had failed!   We'll be ready for that fault next time.   The scanning drum  and capstan motors use simple comparators to keep speed  and phase correct and do need readjustment from time to time.  in 1979 the 3V00 was introduced and represented a vast improvement over the 3292 which really was a 1976 design.

Till Eulenspiegel. 

Posted : 13/04/2019 9:16 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I think the first VHS video recorder we sold was an a Hitachi in 1978 with very similar experience to David. Cannot remember the type of electronics that it used but they were very expensive and not an easy sale.

Frank

Posted : 13/04/2019 9:25 am
Till Eulenspiegel
(@till)
Famed Member Registered

Hi Frank, the Hitachi VCRs sold and rented from my shop were re-branded GEC products, excellent machines and were actually a much more refined product compared with the JVC-Ferguson machines which by 1980 were considered a bit crude.  The first GEC video recorder was the V4001H which was  electrically identical to the excellent Hitachi VT11.

Till Eulenspiegel.

Posted : 13/04/2019 9:38 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

Hi David,

Your memory of the history is excellent, for me most of it is lost in the mist of time. I had a big change in my employment around 1980 and had to concentrate on learning new things. 

Frank

Posted : 13/04/2019 9:49 am
Share: