Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Hello Fellow retro tech enthusiasts;N1700 Fault Assistance  

Page 2 / 3

irob2345
(@irob2345)
Active V-Ratter Registered

Sounds like 2nd gear in my Ford 100E gearbox 50 years ago! There was a similar fix for it.

My first car (van actually). I swapped a TV for it!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 1:30 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @irob2345

Sounds like 2nd gear in my Ford 100E gearbox 50 years ago! There was a similar fix for it.

I seem to recall the two standard "repair" options for those gearboxes were; either, a large dose of fine sawdust, or, a couple of pairs of chopped up nylon stockings. Both worked well enough to last long enough to get rid of the car!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 5:50 pm
RichardFromMarple
(@richardfrommarple)
Trusted V-Ratter Registered

@katie-bush

I heard using a thicker grade of oil or ground up cork could quieten a gearbox.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/11/2020 11:28 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Active V-Ratter Registered

Banana peels for noisy diffs were said to be effective...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/11/2020 4:17 am
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Good news, the bodge fix appears to be holding up. I decided to hold off posting this result a few days to be sure. Also completed my A/V amp board which will be installed permanently tomorrow. And yes the N1700 does appear to play those modded/hybrid 1500 tapes reasonably well with a bit of servo tweaking. Not perfect but close enough.

btw Crusty, those triplers were posted a couple of days ago so should be with you very soon.

rgds

VS

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/11/2020 11:34 pm
crustytv liked
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin
Posted by: @vipersan

Crusty..those triplers were posted a couple of days ago ..so should be with you very soon.

Cheers Viper, pm me the postage costs as you shouldn't be out of pocket on that front👍. I've not been around much as I'm up to my neck in TV's at present.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogsCrustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribingVrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2020 8:21 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Triplers arrived safe and sound, many thanks Viper 👍

p.s.

Couldn't help but notice your return address is the exact same area of Manchester as one of our other members resides in and whom I've visited a couple of times. Mike Mikey66, perhaps you may know each other, its a small world.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogsCrustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribingVrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/11/2020 1:49 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Busy V-Ratter Registered
 Posted by: @crustytv

Triplers arrived safe and sound, many thanks Viper 👍

p.s.

Couldn't help but notice your return address is the exact same area of Manchester as one of our other members resides in and whom I've visited a couple of times. Mike Mikey66, perhaps you may know each other, its a small world.

Not a name I am familiar with buddy but that doesn't mean I have never met him of course. I am pleased the triplers arrived safe, enjoy. By the way, is there a way to PM you? I have a favour to ask regarding my N1700.

Everything is working fine now but I have an issue with the pinch roller. I suspect it has been left in play mode at some point in it's history and wondered if you could possibly help me out ? Attaching a photo so you can see the compression damage.

P1000413s

rgds

VS

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/11/2020 8:55 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I have a favour to ask regarding my N1700

Everything is working fine now ..but I have an issue with the pinch roller.

I suspect it has been left in play mode at some point in it's history ...and wondered if you could possibly help me out ?

Hi Viper, I'll see what I've got in my pinch roller spares box. It may take a little while due to me just having had the workshop extended and rebuilt so I'm in the process of reorganising, everything is a complete mess and not where it once was. If I've got one in reasonable nick, its yours.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2020 9:07 pm
Vipersan liked
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Busy V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @crustytv

I have a favour to ask regarding my N1700

Everything is working fine now ..but I have an issue with the pinch roller.

I suspect it has been left in play mode at some point in it's history ...and wondered if you could possibly help me out ?

Hi Viper, I'll see what I've got in my pinch roller spares box. It may take a little while due to me just having had the workshop extended and rebuilt so I'm in the process of reorganising, everything is a complete mess and not where it once was. If I've got one in reasonable nick, its yours.

Very much appreciated, it would be a great pity to have the 1700 impaired for the sake of a lump of rubber, lol. By the way, are PMs disabled on the forum or is it a question of me not knowing my way around yet.

Regards

VS

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/11/2020 9:11 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

btw are PMs disbled on the forum ...or is it a question of me not knowing my way around yet..

regards

VS

No the pm system is working just fine and we pm'd each other just the other day. Have you looked at the FAQ section here? It contains many how to's and there is one specifically for Private messaging

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2020 9:15 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Viper, managed to get to my VCR spares today. I have a spare N1700 pinch, its not NOS but its in pretty good condition. I cleaned it with some rubber renew and I would say its got a good few hours life left in it for sure.

n1700pinch

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2020 7:38 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv That is great news buddy and just in time really as I have fixed and tweaked quite a bit on this n1700 and am now ready to get it tracking as best I can with a known good tape. Looking forward to getting the new/old pinch roller and making more progress. Whatever condition it's in it's gotta be better than this one.

I am just about to run my head demagnetizer over the audio control head in preparation.

cheers

VS

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/11/2020 11:17 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

@vipersan can you please PM me your name and address today as I have someone going to the post office for me today around 4pm. If we miss today, not sure when I can get there but it will probably be mid December when Christmas cards go out.

p.s.
Just noticed its 4 weeks to Christmas Eve, WTF happened to 2020!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2020 8:18 am
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

@crustytv Hi buddy...

I have replied to your PM request.

rgds

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2020 11:49 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

All sorted 👍

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2020 12:31 pm
Vipersan liked
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

Just a quick update re the pinch roller, got it over the weekend I now have constant speed and tape pressure Chris, though I still am having tracking problems. Oddly I can get the sound perfect and unlocked picture or solid picture lock and no sound. Its as though the audio track and/or the servo control track don't line up with the two tracks on the tape at the same time.

I'm beginning to wonder if the audio/servo head has been changed at some point in the past and someone fitted the wrong head, maybe from a 1500? Are 1500 audio heads interchangeable with 1700 heads. If I knew this for sure I'd start looking elsewhere for a solution.

Are they the same part? This has me totally perplexed.

rgds

VS

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/11/2020 7:37 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

..though I still am having tracking problems..

oddly I can get the sound perfect and unlocked picture ...or solid picture lock and no sound..

Its as though the audio track and/or the servo control track dont line up with the two tracks on the tape at the same time.

I'm beginning to wonder if the audio/servo head has been changed at some point in the past...and someone fitted the wrong head ...maybe from a 1500 ?

What sort of set are you using for monitoring. IIRC there's no circuit to mute audio .... or was that the 1500? It was a few years ago!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2020 1:34 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

@doz

Not a mute issue mate. The audio track is on one edge of the tape and the tracking info is on the other edge. They simply don't appear to line up at the same time. Raise/lower the head, line up for optimum tracking, lock No audio! Raise lower the head for optimum audio, no tracking lock.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/12/2020 2:07 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

@vipersan, ah with you. so it just goes soft and fluffy rather than muting. I'm not sure if the heads are the same part no,, but you could make a 1500 play 1700 tapes (rather bady)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/12/2020 3:55 pm
Page 2 / 3