Share:
Notifications
Clear all

HR-7700EK Arrived  

Page 1 / 2

TVJON74
(@tvjon74)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

Here is a very clean and semi working example of the JVC HR-7700EK VCR. I picked it up yesterday and has been in the same family from new and was stored working when they purchased a new NICAM machine. It came complete with origing user manual, quick start guide and remote control. It weighs a ton!

There is hardly any dust inside and does not seem to of had a lot of use.

The 2 known faults are:

1. Loading/unloading of the cassette in to the machine.
  2. When play is pressed it sounds like it does not fully lace up and the pinch roller does not engage properly and the tape is unloaded.

Both faults are probably due to worn belts. I have a new set here somewhere. It seems a very advanced machine for it's age.

Here are a few pictures.

Front
Rear
Inside
Mech
Instructions Remote

Jon
BVWS Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 12:56 am
PYE625
(@pye625)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Probably one of the best VHS domestic machines ever made.

A fantastic example, well done for saving it. ? 

To understand the black art of electronics is to understand witchcraft.
Andrew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 6:58 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

I have not seen one of these VCR’s, but for that matter I have not seen many of any type. The early machines that I did work on were well built, nothing like the flimsy plastic machines that came later.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 3:59 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

It certainly looks well built like all machines of this type from this era. The only thing I'm not keen on is the type of cassette housing used, the same type was also used in the 3V31/3V32.

Jon
BVWS Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 7:11 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

I quite liked the chain driven roller cassette housing on this and the 3V31/2 machines, they were pretty bomb proof unlike the flimsy affairs of some later machines, they didn't like my dummy cassette though 🙂 a piece of card covering the top of the cassette shell during loading/unloading soon sorted that though, I think I still have a brand new roller bar somewhere.

The "Rolls Royce" of domestic VCRs, I liked the front of the 3V23 version better though 😉

Edit: manual available here

https://elektrotanya.com/akai_vs-10_vs10_thorn_3v23_ferguson_8924_granada_vhstj3_jvc_hr7700ek_vcr.pdf/download.html

"This is my multimeter. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My multimeter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multimeter is useless. Without my multimeter, I am useless."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 7:24 pm
TVJON74 liked
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

It's the roller bar part that I didn't like, as you say the rest of it is bomb proof! ?

Edit:

I have the Ferguson 3V23 manual somewhere, it's about 2 inches thick.

Jon
BVWS Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 7:31 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

.... And the manual is in the data library here along with a growing number of other VCR data.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogs
Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing
Vrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 7:34 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Sorry Chris, I did not know you had already scanned that rather large Manual, feel free to delete my link above ^^^

"This is my multimeter. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My multimeter is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my multimeter is useless. Without my multimeter, I am useless."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 7:36 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

No apology necessary Baz, certainly no need to remove your link either. I was just making interested folk aware that a quicker access version is here for members with library access. I didn't scan it, a kind forum member donated it via members upload last year.

Crustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 7:42 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

Hi Jon, Snap! I've also recently picked up one of these (Thanks Luke ?), I think it's from the same source and university as Chris's N1500. Not the JVC model but one of it's clones, model 8924 which is the Thorn Rentals version of the Ferguson 3V23. It's in need of all three belts, the loading belt has snapped, the chain drive one on the cassette housing and capstan drive belt are stretched.

Unfortunately I've been unable to locate the correct kit, there are belts available for the Akai VS10 which is another clone but the kits don't include the one that drives carriage mech. I'm hoping to be able to give it sometime bench time in February as I'm about to have some enforced time off work, around four weeks due to a procedure on my back, nothing too serious but I'm going to have to get some help to move it around due to the weight.

They certainly were a shock to the system at the time, we had just dipped our toes in VHS waters with the relatively simple features of the Ferguson 3292/3V00/3V16 and then these landed in the showrooms. Multiple timers, FF/REW search, insert editing and double speed playback with sound using a bucket brigade device, thankfully given the level of sophistication of the electronics they were amazingly reliable. I have to disagree with some about the quality of the playback picture, it was variable at best and some were not great. Due to the narrow heads to cope with the trick functions there was much less FM video output and pictures could appear to be quite noisy. A trade off between noise and definition could made by tweaking the aperture control on the Y/C board. A big improvement in playback pictures could be obtained at the expense of the trick function by replacing the "L" type upper drum with "M" type from the 3V00. There was also another cause of noisy playback pictures caused by a slack earthing screw on the rear Pre/Rec board.

BTW which type of Mechacon is fitted to yours? Mine is the later type with the smaller PCB.

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:06 pm
TVJON74
(@tvjon74)

Hi John,

That's 3 of us who have just got one of these machines then, as I know BRC3000 has also just got the JVC version. I have also read/heard about the picture quality issues, but as yet I can't comment on that. As for the mechacon PCB I will let you know when I'm back in the workshop.  ? 

Jon
BVWS Member

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:16 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

How spooky ! I was just thinking back to an earlier discussion on here we had about the different mechacon boards and was just wondering the same.

I wasn't aware about the undersize heads on these machines.

My favourite was the 3V32 as it was a 4 head LP machine, blank tapes were still fairly expensive so although the LP was poorer quality it was ideal for time shifting duties, watch'n'wipe style, or if you only had 15 mins of SP tape left and wanted to record a half hour sitcom (the young ones 🙂 etc. )

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:22 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Don't forget lots of juicy VCR brochures available to peruse up top on via blog | VCR

Just two examples here:-

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/1980s-ferguson-video-recorders/

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/jvc-vcr/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:27 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Thanks Chris, I had not seen the brochures in your first link before  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:32 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

The 3V32 was a very popular model, I could cope with the LP picture quality but not sound, as it was linear stereo it was only just acceptable even in SP. A nice trick was when used with a 7 pin DIN plug and and some TX100 sets only a single RCU was required, the TRUMPS PCB in the TV decoding the remote commands and sending them as serial data to the VCR down the DIN cable

My very first E180 bought in 1978 which I still have cost me £19.95. It has been recorded onto only once.

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:43 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Thinking back for a moment to the 3V31/2 anyone else remember the plastic overlay sheet for the adjustments "down the tubes" ? JC probably will 🙂 I got mine from a friendly Thorn engineer, I wonder what happened to it, probably lost in one of the many clear outs 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:48 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Yes JC I remember the remote/Din plugs well, we often sold a TV and VCR package with one of videostars and usually either a TX10 or TX100 stereo sound set, usually with the TV and VCR about equally matched, usually to suit a particular customers budget.

The good old days 🙂

Ps. TP had boxes full of those leads, not many people (other traders) really bothered with them, I did though whenever we were putting a package deal together.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:53 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Posted by: Red_to_Black

Thinking back for a moment to the 3V31/2 anyone else remember the plastic overlay sheet for the adjustments "down the tubes" ? JC probably will 🙂

I certainly do and I'm sure I've seen the special adjusting tool with the fluorescent long green shaft and blue handle in some of Chris's pictures.

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 8:59 pm
Red_to_Black
(@red_to_black)

Ha, I had a similar fluorescent long green shaft  trimmer/adjusting tool, mine wasn't Thorn issued tough, I got mine from either CPC or CHS or one of the other wholesalers at the time, the shaft was tapered and did not fit the "tubes" properly it would jam before it got to the bottom, I ended up having to grind it down a bit 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 9:24 pm
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)

A word of warning about the DC-DC converter on the display PCB, this is the rectangular can on the display board to the right of the carriage. It's rather fragile electrically so before carrying out any work on the board or Tuner/Timer remove power and leave for at least a minute or so. The very early type where a screw can be seen on top may possibly be repairable, the later type wasn't possible to get inside without damage if my memory is correct.

John.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/01/2019 10:28 pm
Page 1 / 2