Featured
Latest
My first Philips N1...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

VCR My first Philips N1700 is about as good as it's gonna get.

1 Posts
1 Users
3 Likes
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

Finally got my refurbished pinch rollers back from Terry Witt in the USA.

They look amazing (2 of them)

They were fitted in both of my working 17Ks ...but still some work needed on machine no 2

The first machine which has had the mod done to make it dual speed.

..but now it has a new pinch roller I peeled the shrink wrap off my one and only new/old stock 2 hour tape and attempted a recording

>>>

Using my Maplin modulator to provide DVD to UHF...I attempted my first full tape recording of a movie to a 2 hour tape..at standard speed.

both are fitted with A/V out boards...via RCA sockets

The tape is new old stock ..but as expected there are hiccups occasionally where the capstan sync is lost for short periods..

nonetheless with the new pinch roller fitted on my modded dual speed 17K I have a very watchable recording of the movie Dogma.

The capstan lock brief errors tend to be early in the recording when most of the tape is on the supply reel..and happen rarely from about halfway onwards.

It will soon be time to try recording a Testcard on the VHS tape I spooled into an empty VCR case a couple of weeks ago.

All in all quite a project.

But I'd say this modded 17K is almost as good as it could be considering its age..

dropbox link to a sample I took in MP4 playing back the recording I made and then took a digitised sample to show the result.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qre3ng47x04x4q4/17k%20sample%20dogma.mp4?dl=0

if anyone cares to download it and take a look.
rgds

VS

renovating these machines is truely a labour of love..

Posted : 14/03/2021 7:03 pm
Lloyd, Lloyd and Lloyd reacted
Share: