23 Posts
5 Users
18 Likes
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

Hi friends..

I'm back with another piece of VCR history to restore.

This time it is a video 2000 (VR2020)

As expected this will require a lot of attention..not least because of rust ...but my first line of attack was the Control board ...and battery damage/leakage.

I have removed the battery but such was the leakage that it has corrded and desolved many traces beneath it.

This I'm sure can be fixed with multiple wire links...but in order to do this I need to reference a good board.

I downloaded the manual which sadly is in German (not my native tongue) but was hoping it would at least have a board layout I could refer to.

..not so ...

this was omitted.

Can anyone help me ?

All I need is a good quality image/photo of a non corroded pcb to look at ?

Please help if you can as I'd like to see this beast live again.

rgds

VS

Posted : 15/01/2021 12:19 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Reputable Member Registered

@vipersan I've got the manual in english for the Vr2022 and it has got the section for the control board which is referenced as U20. If this is the same unit then I could scan that section and maybe upload it to the data library.

Posted : 15/01/2021 3:13 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply buddy..

Looking at the German manual I have ..It appears to reference the control board as CTR U020...so it certainly is a possibility the board is the same or similar.

A schematic and or board layout might well help me out.

rgds

Posted : 15/01/2021 5:39 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

@vipersan I've uploaded the control module (U20) info tonight and Chris has put it in the data library. I hope it will be of use to you. I've also got one of them machines but it's not been powered it up for a couple of years and you've got me thinking that I should check it out again. 

Posted : 15/01/2021 11:01 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

@jcdaze

Thanks for the pdf..

I've downloaded it and as we suspected ..it is indeed the same unit.

So ..I can theoretically repair the traces..

My worry is that because the corrosion is so extensive..the traces are so delicate and the possible damage to chips / components etc.

Just casually brushing over a few resistors with a paint brush during cleaning caused them to crumble and the component body to seperate from the legs..

Damn leaky NiMH batteries !!!

I will be looking to replace the ctr board if I ever find one.

Even a faulty one in better condition is a viable option as I then could maybe make a frankenstein board which might just work.

cheers

VS

Posted : 16/01/2021 12:04 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

I would advise anyone who has one of these machines to replace the battery asap ..or at least cut it off the pcb ..

Posted : 16/01/2021 12:22 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

I have the VR2022, it needs a new head, I managed to track down a brand-new head last year which I intended to fit this year. I must admit I'd not given the battery a second thought..... Ooops. Perhaps I should check. 😳 

CrustyTV Television Shop: Take a virtual tour
Crusty's TV/VCR Collection: View my collection
Crustys Youtube Channel: My stuff
Crusty's 70s Lounge: Take a peek

Posted : 16/01/2021 12:42 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

@crustytv

It saddens me to see the extent of the damage wrought by such a simple thing as a leaky battery..

Just the escaping vapours are sufficient to dissolve the thin traces ..and make resoldering virtually impossible.

It may well be that in my case ...repair of the CTR board is a pipe dream.

My hope is to find a replacement pcb in better condition ..but I suspect all pcbs with original batteries will have suffered to some degree.

cest la vie

Get yours checked asap Chris...is my advice.

Posted : 16/01/2021 12:49 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

@vipersan I couldn't agree more about them batteries. Your post made me go and check mine out and here was me thinking I'd powered it up about 2 years ago only to find it was last checked over in 2016 as I'd put a note on it. I knew something had changed as soon as I took the bottom of and saw a greenish white powdery deposit on the connector for the control board. Anyway took the board out and sure enough the whole pcb side of the board was contaminated as well as some on the component side. It hasn't as far as I can see lifted any print but is everywhere. The annoying thing is that I knew there were a problem and the one in my machine is original but I stupidly left it in as it hadn't leaked at that time. I'll try and clean it up and hope for the best. Another lockdown job to do.

Posted : 16/01/2021 2:15 pm
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

😲

Jim, I'm being lazy, but I've never opened up my VR2022, so to save me time consulting the German manual. What's the procedure to get at the CTR board. Got an orrible feeling "things come in three" and mine will be joining the poop party.

I think we're looking at the same time frame for mine not having been touched, although it has been in a warm workshop all that time, if it makes any difference.

Posted : 16/01/2021 2:20 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

@crustytv Take out the 5 screws on the bottom (one in each corner and an extra long one in the middle). Then slide the top cover towards the rear of the machine (it maybe a bit tight) and then lift it off. Then remove the 3 screws holding the front. Once these are out the front can be tilted forward. The control board is the first board to the left of the cassette compartment.  It has plastic retaining clips either end and these need to be held out in order to lift the board but there are also 6 connecters to be unplugged from the board as well. These plugs also have retaining clips. It is easier also to lift the metal screening shield to the right by the cassette compartment out to give more visibility to the board. This sounds long winded but it is fairly easy really and certainly worthwhile. 

Posted : 16/01/2021 2:53 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

Well ..I'm happy that I prompted this inspection..and hopefully you guys will rescue your machines in time to avoid catastrophy..

and Taking the opportunity to put out an APB on behalf of mine..

If anyone has a control board surplus to requirements ..

..doesn't even have to be a working board...

please ..

I would be interested in buying it from you.

regards

Posted : 16/01/2021 3:22 pm
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered

I have made new PCBs in such cases in the past, I'm a very experienced Altium user and it's quick and cheap these days to get prototype PCBs fabricated..

Does it look like this might be practical? If so, I could volunteer my services. It would be fun.

Could you post a link to the U20 schematic and a layout? I'll have a look.

Unless the board contains unobtainium parts (e.g. a microcontroller) with pins rotted away and assuming 100 parts or less it should be practical.

Oh, the new battery will be lithium!

Posted : 17/01/2021 12:42 am
jcdaze, jcdaze and jcdaze reacted
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

@irob2345 you have data library access and the file "Philips VR2022 Control Module U20 Serv Manual.pdf"

can be found in Data Folders / Video Recorder / Philips /  👍 

Posted : 17/01/2021 8:33 am
irob2345
(@irob2345)
Honorable Member Registered

Hmm, there's a lot of parts.

Do the main parts on the existing PCB look like they would be safely reusable? It looks like the large chip is a mask-programmed microcontroller. And that RAM is probably unobtainium.

Since the board diagram is so good, I'd probably just do a copy route job. Some hi-res pictures and accurate dimensions (especially of the edge connector area) would be needed. It looks like the board is laid out on a 50 mil grid. Helpful would be vernier-measured offsets of Pin 1 for each chip. Units would be metric inches, i.e. mils., that is, 1/1000 inch.

How do you feel about hot-air removal of the chips, all new passives and re-stuffing a new PCB?

Posted : 17/01/2021 9:12 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Posted by: @jcdaze

ake out the 5 screws on the bottom (one in each corner and an extra long one in the middle). Then slide the top cover towards the rear of the machine (it maybe a bit tight) and then lift it off. Then remove the ..... ..... ..... .....

Excellent notes there Jim, very clear and concise, many thanks 👍 

Well it looks like I'm a lucky bunny, absolutely no damage to mine whatsoever. I wonder if it has anything to do with storage? I doubt it, probably just good fortune which is unusual for me. My machine has been stored in a centrally heated workshop, since I obtained it five years ago in Nov 2015. Since then, it has been awaiting me to find a replacement head which I finally did last year. However, prior to that it had spent a number of years in the original owners loft. It came with all the original sale receipts and boy was it not cheap.

Anyway, I checked and there's no life in the battery whatsoever. I guess I should remove it to not tempt fate, do any of you have a source for replacement 3.6V batteries?

Thought some pics would be nice as thus far nobody has posted any.

vr2022 1
vr2022 2
vr2022 3
vr2022 4
vr2022 5
vr2022 6
vr2022 7
vr2022 8
vr2022 9

Posted : 17/01/2021 10:01 am
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)

@crustytv You're fortunate there as that looks like original battery. That machine looks in good condition. Lithium rechargeable 3.6v battery with solder tags are available for about £7 upwards on usual sites. I got one from CPC recently for a bike light. 

Posted : 17/01/2021 10:38 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

You're fortunate there as that looks like original battery

Maybe that's why. Perhaps like most things the first of something is built to a better standard, subsequent offerings suffer from bean counter-itus. Take the battleship 3V16, stick in some belts and the thing works happily again. Try that with the plastic last gen unit.

Posted : 17/01/2021 10:45 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Lithium rechargeable 3.6v battery with solder tags are available for about £7 upwards on usual sites.

Ah, must admit I'd not even looked, indeed there are. Shame we have to put another in as I guess the same scenario is quite likely if not more so with modern types.

Posted : 17/01/2021 10:47 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

That machine looks in good condition

It certainly is, although the original owner had long stopped using it, they had placed it in the loft, in a box covered with a blanket. I got a whole raft of V2000 tapes with it as well. Despite their precautions on storage, the chrome plating on the video head drum had suffered, it had flaked off in a few places. The machine plays tapes but due to the surface, it now causes the tape to randomly stick to teh drum, hence needing a replacement head.

Heads are rarer than a rare thing, from the rare zone. However, after 5 years one finally turned up, boy did the vendor know how to fleece me for it. Still, I had little choice of finding another and who can blame him, market forces and all that.

vr2022 10

Now the VCR is out and dismantled, I suppose there's little excuse not to tackle it sooner rather than later. But for now I'll desist from hijacking Evan's thread any further.

I hope you two have some luck in sorting your CTR boards out. If I were Evan I'd take @irob2345 up on his kind offer of recreating a new PCB and then populating it with the rare IC's from the damaged board. It's that or buy another V2000 machine which are fetching fairly high prices now, as a donor. But you still run the risk of buying another with similar damage, its pot luck.

Posted : 17/01/2021 11:02 am
jcdaze, jcdaze and jcdaze reacted
Page 1 / 2
Share: