19 Users
66 Likes
14.3 K Views
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Famed Member Registered

@katie-bush

Deal.

It'll need the firmware upgrade as described earlier in the thread but I don't see me ever using it so when I get a chance, I'll send it your way. PM me your address, Marion.

Posted : 04/05/2020 9:19 pm
PYE625, crustytv, PYE625 and 3 people reacted
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

@cathovisor Now there's an offer I can't refuse!

A PM is on its way.........

Posted : 04/05/2020 9:27 pm
PYE625, PYE625 and PYE625 reacted
neil1974
(@neil1974)
Honorable Member Registered

I'll have to see if mine still works.

Cheers

Neil.

Posted : 05/05/2020 11:19 pm
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)
Reputable Member Registered

I'm pleased to report that my T35 is still working. I updated the software on it when I got it 2 years ago. Hopefully Marion will be able to update her box when it arrives. A Windows PC with serial port and a null modem cable is required, along with the correct software update files. There are two versions of the Multiview T35. Mine is the thicker one with multiple RF sockets on the back, which also requires RF loopthrough cables. The other version of the T35 is thinner with fewer RF sockets. I understand the software is different too. If in doubt, ask before trying to update.

It seemed that the EEPROM got corrupted in sideband's box, and he replaced it with a new blank one which then re-initialised successfully. Luckily this means that there is no irreplaceable data in the EEPROM. I reckon the old one could have been erased in a programmer then re-used, though I accept that if you don't already have an EEPROM programmer it's easier and cheaper to just replace the EEPROM with a new one. Either way, all the previous settings will be lost, including the teletext setting (should be LiveEPG instead of Live Teletext).

Since obtaining the Multiview T35 box, I got hold of another similar product called a2b multibox which was made in Sweden. The a2b multibox was available with 3 or 6 channel outputs. I have the cheaper 3 channel one; it's possible to daisy-chain two boxes together to add more channels. The Swedish a2b multibox does not generate teletext but it can produce NICAM stereo sound, just like the old analogue TV channels used to have. This feature is quite unique, though I've yet to actually try it. The a2b multibox can also generate 625-line VHF TV channels as well as UHF. The sound subcarrier frequency can be changed too. Could be useful if you have early Irish or continental European 625 VHF TVs, or perhaps you want to recreate an analogue cable TV distribution system. These were sometimes found in blocks of flats or housing estates. In the early days, viewers used modified dual-standard TVs to watch the 625 VHF signals. Later on, VHF to UHF converter boxes were used with single standard UHF TVs. In my area, analogue cable TV was still around until 2009 when it was finally shut down (a bit too soon, as digital terrestrial TV did not start here until 2012). I still have the old VHF to UHF converter boxes; now I can make them work again.

The a2b multibox is also a bit of an insurance policy in case the Multiview T35 software fails again in the future and no updates are made available. Unfortunately neither box supports DVB-T2. At the moment it's only the Freeview HD channels that use T2 and they're duplicated in Standard Definition DVB-T so it's not a problem right now. But if in the future (or maybe when) the SD channels are switched off, or everything goes over to T2, these boxes will become useless. There's no sign of that happening in the near future, so hopefully I'll have a few years more fun.

Posted : 06/05/2020 11:20 pm
Katie Bush, ntscuser, Katie Bush and 3 people reacted
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

Both my T35s are working OK. When in teletext mode selecting 888 does not give subtitles just two lines of text saying subtitle line 1 subtitle line 2.

I also have a semi faulty A2B 6 channel box. It is really 2 three channel boxes. The lower one had a burnt out chip, splitting the box in two I get it to work as a three channel box. These receivers do not have teletext but are said to generate NICAM stereo sound!

Posted : 07/05/2020 7:30 pm
abctelevision
(@abctelevision)

The T35s do have a remote control facility. Does anyone know the universal code?

Posted : 07/05/2020 7:48 pm
hamid_1
(@hamid_1)

I had noticed the remote control sensor on the Multiview T35 but haven't tried to use it. It may well use the same codes as another device, in which case a universal remote could work. RSD had a support forum where I obtained the software update from - it's worth asking them directly there.

Another method: most universal remotes have a "code search" if the code is not known, the remote can send all the codes in its memory one by one. As soon as your device responds, you have found a valid code. You then immediately press a button on the universal remote to store it and stop it sending further codes. This can be a bit hit-and-miss; it's very easy to go past the correct code during the search or for a code to be found that only works partially.

Posted : 11/05/2020 11:58 am
Jayceebee
(@jayceebee)
Prominent Member Registered

Another vote here for the a2b. I also started out with the T35 but even with the recommended settings it still felt clunky and fell over quite regularly. I dug out the T35 some weeks ago with a view to installing it in the new workshop. It had lain idle for some months and when commanded to power on it wouldn’t, another PSU tried of course with no success. Trawling eBay I came across a three channel a2b and it was duly ordered.

Something to beware of is that from the factory it’s outputs are down in the cable S channels, the channel you need to tune to make changes is S11 at 231.25MHz but many flat screen monsters can tune down there anyway. It’s 4:3 output is letterbox only unfortunately 

And yes, the audio also has NICAM available.

D4DD5DE8 55DE 47D9 A8FF 7BCB8BC5644B

John.

Posted : 05/04/2021 12:37 pm
Lloyd, Lloyd and Lloyd reacted
Lloyd
(@lloyd)
Prominent Member Registered

I need to get me one of those! Where does one find these things? Tried eBay, but found nothing so far..

Regards,

lloyd

Posted : 05/04/2021 6:12 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @lloyd

I need to get me one of those! Where does one find these things? Tried eBay, but found nothing so far..

Same here! I thought I'd take a look and "scope out the territory" - Not one to be found. An internet search reveals 'A2B Multibox T6' as one version of this device. That would presumably be the six channel version, and I assume, NiCam. My guess would be that the T3, assuming the nomenclature follows suit, would be the little sister to the T6, and perhaps no NiCam?  It's not rocket science to figure out that T6= six analogue outputs, and that T3= three analogues.

I'd love to find out more about these devices.  In the meantime, I need to acquire a null modem RS232 patch lead so that I can flash the software in the Multiview T-35 that Mike sent me. I must admit, they're a bit pricey for something that will only be used once.

I don't suppose anyone has one going spare?

Posted : 06/04/2021 4:19 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@katie-bush

Information on RS232 null modems, can you not modify a standard cable?

https://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/rs-232-null-modem

RS232, Bread and butter for me at one time, forgotten most if it now.

Frank

Posted : 06/04/2021 5:17 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed Member Registered

Posted by: @nuvistor

@katie-bush

Information on RS232 null modems, can you not modify a standard cable?

If I had one! - I have a "Laplink" (parallel/parallel) cable, and a two wire modem cable for programming my PABX. I might have actually tried modifying that, but would you believe it, it's a proprietary cable with only the two conductors in it? I guess that's to eliminate unwanted electrical feedback paths (A standard requirement when connecting external IT equipment to a line connected private exchange).

Posted : 06/04/2021 5:35 pm
Page 11 / 11
Share: