Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Talking Pictures keeps falling off my Freeview Box!  

Page 1 / 2

colourstar
(@colourstar)
Honorable V-Ratter Registered

As per the title really. I've recently started enjoying the delights of Talking Pictures TV on channel 81 on my Goodmans combined Freeview box and hard disk recorder. The problem is that every two or three days I find that channel 81 has vanished. A re-tune of the box always finds it again and all is well for another few days until suddenly its awol. Any ideas as to why this might be? It's a tad frustrating as Talking Pictures is the only channel I ever bother to watch!

Steve

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/07/2020 7:54 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Hi Steve, as its the only channel you watch, I don't suppose you've noticed if any other channels are also going awol at the same time? The ARQ-B MUX carries Talking pictures and shares with the likes of CBS, Yesterday, QVC etc. I would be interested to know if they are gone or still there when it occurs. Have you checked your coverage and signal strength? We get odd MUXes go when there's bad weather, then again my roof aerial ancient, possibly 70's as well as tiny. Does not bother me as I haven't watched broadcast TV in over 13 years and Crusty Junior never watches any TV either. However, Mrs Crusty gets miffed when certain channels go but they eventually come back.

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogsCrustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribingVrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 8:10 am
colourstar
(@colourstar)

Hi Chris

I just re-tuned the box this morning, but next time it drops TPTV I'll check to see if Yesterday and QVC have gone too. The signal strength *seems* OK- there are no obvious signs of stuttering and pixellation. Looks to be a decent modern aerial on the roof and it's pointing in the same direction as everyone else in the street.

Aerial
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/07/2020 8:29 am
crustytv
(@crustytv)
Vrat Founder Admin

Here's our ancient 4-element aerial, no idea of age, I'm guessing late 70's early 80's.

aerial

Crusty's Collection: Read the repair blogsCrustys Youtube Channel: If you want to follow me on Youtube, please consider subscribingVrat FaceBook: Follow us

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 10:01 am
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

Goodmans boxes retune overnight when in standby mode (well mine does anyway) so if the signal is weak at that particular time the multiplex will have disappeared when you next power up.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 4:18 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

@ntscuser Ah, now that's interesting as it does seem to be an overnight problem. It's always the next morning when I find it's gone. It must be that the signal strength is marginal. Some freeview boxes have a basic on-screen signal strength indicator (red/yellow/green bar) but the Goodmans doesn't.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/07/2020 6:52 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator
Posted by: @ntscuser

Goodmans boxes retune overnight when in standby mode (well mine does anyway) so if the signal is weak at that particular time the multiplex will have disappeared when you next power up.

As above!

Steve, do you get your service via Emley Moor? If so, there is still the ongoing transmitter works up there, and moreover, it's only a temporary, low powered bit of wire in the breeze. Our signals are poor to say the least, and I've only recently invested in an "Aerial" amplifier to bump up the RF coming off the 1976 Antiference Yagi picture below.

Antiference

Just lately, I've noticed a similar problem to yours (on Free View), only that my Free View box doesn't do auto channel updates, so the channels will often be missing one day, and back the next. It's the same for my neighbours too, some of whom have actually shelled out tidy sums for new aerials and amplifiers. If only they knew that one day (allegedly) normal service will be resumed. Meanwhile, my main viewing is via satellite, so for the most part, it's situation normal for me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 8:08 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

@katie-bush Hi Marion, I'm a touch further south than that (although it was easy to pick up a rather grainy Yorkshire ITV in the analogue days). I'm pretty sure my aerial is pointing at the Waltham-on-the-Wolds transmitter just outside Nottingham (I'm located between Nottingham and Derby). I get BBC News East Midlands, which is correct for these parts. If the signal is weak I can't imagine why. It's not as though I'm in a difficult reception area. Oh the delights of digital tv!

Steve

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/07/2020 9:40 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

Hi Steve,

I'm just wondering if there may be work in progress there too (to accommodate 5g and all that).

Perhaps here is the answer? - There is work at 'Waltham' with "Possible weak signal" as the attached comment.

https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/planned-engineering-works (fifth entry, down)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 9:57 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

As an aside, it's sometimes worth checking at "The Big Tower" ( https://thebigtower.com/live/INDEX/Index.htm ) to check which channels are currently in use. I had no idea that Emley moor is now belting out no less than nine MUXs. I seriously do need to retune my Free View box!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/07/2020 10:08 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

@katie-bush That's really useful info Marion, thanks for the tip. If only there were still on-screen engineering announcements, then we'd all be in the picture (pun intended)

As it happens, Talking Pictures vanished again overnight, but QVC and Yesterday were still in place. Yet another re-scan brought TP back in, although no doubt it will have vanished again by the morning!

TP have been showing some cracking films this week, the period documentaries 'Terminus' and 'Waverley Steps' being highlights. Such atmosphere!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/07/2020 9:04 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed V-Ratter Registered

Freeview channels on Com 6, any others missing?

8C4D510D 3643 4820 BA54 D05F07327459

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/07/2020 9:26 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

Thanks for the infortmation Frank.

Only channels 22, 25, 73, 206 and 234 from your list were still present, all the rest were missing. The customary morning re-tune brought everything back in. Until tomorrow!

Steve

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/07/2020 7:59 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

Now why would the receiver, I presume it’s a receiver fault, that would work with some channels and not others on the same mux?

Each channel is in the same data stream but will have a different ID (LCN ?) of some form in that data stream. I know little about DTV but it’s the sort of thing that looks like some memory corruption in the receiver, perhaps the area of memory is fixed for each mux and it’s the Com 6 area of memory that has a problem.

Probably talking rubbish but it keeps my brain cells working.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2020 10:55 am
colourstar
(@colourstar)

@nuvistor Probably the best bet Frank is for me to grab another Freeview receiver and see how it behaves. That should establish once and for all whether the problem is transmitter or receiver.

Steve

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/07/2020 7:35 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)

@colourstar
A good idea, a different make or model in case it’s not a hardware fault but a software bug. If it’s the receiver I would really like to know why but without knowing a lot more about how these things work it won’t be possible. I probably wouldn’t understand it either. Grief and at one time I was dealing with machine level code on mini computers, all lost now.

Frank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/07/2020 8:09 pm
Doz
 Doz
(@doz)
Noble V-Ratter Registered

My elcheapo HD freeview recorder box has a habit of moving things/ deleting things on it's own, even when there's been no mux changes. I live with it, because it was change out of £30, and everything else it does is without fault.

I'm sure it's a software glitch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 1:10 pm
colourstar
(@colourstar)

As a conclusion of sorts to this tale, I found that if I leave the Goodmans switched on to a channel overnight, rather than in standby, all the channels were present and correct in the morning. This does tend to confirm ntscuser's earlier suggestion that these boxes do some sort of nocturnal re-boot when in standby, which is when the problem arises. Perhaps it is a software glitch then, or just that these are getting long in the tooth. Mine actually has the option to scan for software upgrades, which I duly did, but to no discernable effect.

Steve

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/07/2020 1:07 pm
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

It's very unlikely there'll be any OTA upgrades for your box; it's simply too old.

The vast majority of boxes update their guides at around 03:00 but on what channels this occurs is another guess. I am beginning to think that a 'funny' with my mother-in-law's seven year old Humax failing on series recordings is because it gets turned off at the socket overnight, consequently the guide doesn't get updated and so the box is left a bit confused as to when the programme is meant to start.

I've told her to leave it on standby but turn the telly off via its side-mounted proper power switch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2020 1:25 pm
ntscuser
(@ntscuser)
Prominent V-Ratter Registered

OTA software upgrades ceased on Freeview with the closure of the engineering channel in April 2018.

Classic TV Theme Tunes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2020 12:53 am
Page 1 / 2