Featured
Latest
User manual needed ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Forum 141

User manual needed for a Philips 2340 (V2K machine)

12 Posts
3 Users
15 Likes
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Estimable Member Registered
Topic starter

So my latest project was a fairly high end VR2340 video 2000 vcr.

Heads are good and playback is not bad at all.

This machine has linear stereo ...so not hifi as expected ..but is quite a nice example.

I managed to obtain a PDF of the service manual ...but sadly this doesn't help with setup and operation.

For example setting the clock ..tuning channels etc etc.

rather than trying pure guesswork ..I would prefer to get my hands on a copy of the user manual if I can.

I used the service manual to configure the mains transformer primary for 240v UK ..as it was set for 220v AC

(at 240v ..it runs cooler)

It originally came from Holland where 220v is the norm

I cannot use RF audio as the IF frequency

P1000568

is non UK compatible...but it does have a scart socket which makes A/V possible.

I suspect similar machines say a VR2334 would also point me in the right direction.

Can anyone help here ?

..as try as I might I cannot find it in pdf form on t'interweb

I'm attaching a photo of my 2340 ..to show it off ...and to jog the memory of anyone who might be able to help.

rgds

VS

Posted : 04/03/2021 7:35 pm
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

I found the service manual on line but no sign of the user manual. Is there a similar model that the user manual for that may be available?

Frank

Posted : 04/03/2021 11:02 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

@nuvistor The VR2334 is very similar in appearance Frank...so may well help ..

but sadly I cant find a user manual for that one either.

To be honest finding any kind of user manual in English might well be a challenge ...

Not sure if the 2340 or 2334 were ever big sellers outside of mainland Europe.

These machines appeared at the end of the 2000 systems popularity...so never really took off in a big way.

Pity really as this was the time the Philips 2000 system was maturing and had much to offer.

I really like my VR2340 ...but navigation of the buttons is tricky without info.

rgds

VS

Posted : 05/03/2021 9:54 am
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

Believe it or not ..I have found someone selling the 2340 user manual on ebay..

certainly it is very expensive ...and I dont read dutch...

nonetheless ..I might be tempted to make an offer ...if we have someone on the forum who could translate it into English from a scan ?

rgds

Evan

Posted : 05/03/2021 11:29 am
Nuvistor
(@nuvistor)
Famed Member Registered

@vipersan
My English language teacher gave me 1 out of 10 so I have no hope with Dutch. 😒 

Frank

Posted : 05/03/2021 12:10 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)

whole PDF (maar in het Nederlands!) is here

http://docs.mfbfreaks.com/um/User_Manual_VR2340.pdf

I tried to also upload it here but PDF is not allowed (can email it to anyone or upload it to some other place if it is useful for the data library)

I can translate some of it, but there is a fair bit there in 14 pages and its not OCR'd so I would have to do it manually which would take more time (if there are any particular sections you are interested in I could try a bit at a time)

Posted : 05/03/2021 6:46 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

@alex728

My grateful thanks Alex..

I've grabbed a copy ...but not particularly useful as it stands..

If you could translate ..the setup procedure ..

How to set the clock ..and how to tune channels for recording..

also how to record from an external AV source ..that would help me a helluva lot.

The buttons are labelled in the manual ..so if you could reference the diagram when describing these functions...that would be so very helpful.

Functions such as play fast forward rewind etc are obvious so these require no explanation..

I just dont know which buttons to press and in what order to scan channels to record from a source...tuner or scart.

regards

VS

Posted : 05/03/2021 7:04 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)

Aansluiten (connection)

A. remove the antenna cable from the TV set and plug the connection into the antenna input (b) on the rear of the VCR

B. connect the antenna output (TV) a on the rear of the VCR by means of the supplied cable to the antenna input of the TV set

C. connect the supplied mains cable to the mains input ~ (f) of the VCR and put the plug in the socket. Check first that the local voltage matches with that of the type plate on the back of the VCR.

NB: the VCR automatically goes to "standby" if the tape is still for more than 8 minutes. It is turned on again by pressing any of the buttons of the VCR.

Correct setting and checking of clock and calendar

Always follow steps D to L (see below) if you want the correct time and date, otherwise the display 7 can show the correct time but wrong date.

D. press button "Set clock" 3. On display 7 the indicator lamp for TIME will light up and the time display will flash.

E. enter the correct time with help of the keyboard 9. Always enter the time following the 24 hour clock. 5pm is therefore 17:00. If you make a mistake, you can press "C" on keyboard 9. This will return the display 7 to 0:00; after that you can enter the correct time.

F. press button -> 5 ; on display 7 the indicator lamp for "YEAR" should light and the programmed year should appear. If that is not the case and the lights for "TIME" and "0:00" stay on, then you have put in an incorrect time such as 2572. Go back to step E and enter the correct time.

G. If display 7 shows wrong year, enter via keyboard 8 the correct year, such as "1983". If you make a mistake, then press "C" on the keyboard and enter the year again.

H. press button -> 5 ; on display 7 the lamp for "MONTH" should light up and the number of the programmed month appears.

I. if display 7 shows wrong month, enter the correct month with keyboard 9. If you make a mistake, then press "C" on the keyboard and enter the month again.

J. press again the button -> 5. on display 7 the lamp for "DAY" should light up and the programmed date appears. if this is not the case and the display shows "MONTH" and number "1", then you have entered a wrong month number (such as 13). go back to step I and enter the correct month.

K. if display 7 shows wrong date, enter the correct date with keyboard 9. If you make a mistake, press "C" on the keyboard and enter the correct date.

L. Press "End" button 6. display 7 should now show the correct time again. If this is not the case, and the display shows 1 and the lamp DAY is still on, then you have entered a wrong date (such as 30 in month of February). Go back to step K and enter the correct date.

The clock and calendar are now correctly set and should show current date and time. 

If there is a powercut or you have unplugged the mains cable from the VCR or socket, then display 7 will flash. If this is the case you must set the clock and calendar again.

Posted : 05/03/2021 7:54 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)

(I will try and condense these bits as otherwise it will take a lot of time and space on the forum)

to get the VCR output on the TV (via the RF modulator) press Play button without a cassette in: then look around UHF channel 37 for the black/white test pattern (it should be around channel 30-40, the trimmer "c" is used to adjust it), if you aren't using SCART to view the output

to record/monitor the SCART input use "channel 00" (via keyboard 9)  

to search for TV channels put in a cassette, press record (10) and then use search button (28), the VCR searches the bands and shows on display 7 (1 for Band I VHF, 2, for Band III VHF, 3 for UHF). When a TV station is found display 7 will flash a number between 0 and 35 (for 35 channels), use the keyboard 9 and the -/-- button to select one of those, press button with <> diamond (27) to store it..

(This bit is similar to a lot of Philips sets I remember in the 80s)

hopefully that is enough to set the clock and record/view via SCART and set some channels...

Posted : 05/03/2021 8:18 pm
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

Very accurate and helpful Alex..

My clock is now set thanks to your instructions..

Hopefully your instructions can help me scan for TV channels next ...

I have my external modulator set up to provide a UHF signal via RF (aerial socket)

but in order to make a recording (in this case a testcard) I need to scan in at least one preset channel.

regards

Evan

Posted : 05/03/2021 8:20 pm
Alex728, Alex728 and Alex728 reacted
Vipersan
(@vipersan)
Topic starter

Progress being made ..

followed the instructions and now have an old crt portable on the output frequency from the VCR...and successfully stored the output from my modulator on channel 1 of the VCR..

Soundless of course as the modulator is set to output PAL I

hopefully I can now configure this Maplin modulator to output both sound and picture ...

Does anyone happen to know the continental system for UHF circa 1980s ?

obviously PAL ..but PAL ??

Posted : 05/03/2021 8:56 pm
Alex728
(@alex728)

PAL B/G for the Netherlands, 5,5 MHz audio subcarrier...

Posted : 05/03/2021 11:30 pm
Share: