Notifications
Clear all

What's wrong with my Philips N1700 Longplay  

Page 2 / 2

Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@crustytv

Ah, right, by then, I was out of the loop as they say, but I'll need to go and look at that - I'd be interested to see how you can get even more out a machine that had already been squeezed until its pips were squeaking!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2020 11:34 pm
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@crustytv

Well, at a cursory glance that looks quite interesting, but how narrow the recorded tracks must be, and how much overlap there must be.

Talk about getting a pint out of a half-pint pot - That mod makes it a quart!

I'd guess that an N1702 head drum might help mitigate some of the inevitable crosstalk? Not that I plan to make the mod, but it's worth knowing about, in case one ever came across such a modified machine, or odd behaviour from a recording.

By the time of that article, Granddad had left us, and I had moved into working in local government.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2020 11:58 pm
jcdaze
(@jcdaze)
Busy V-Ratter Registered

The mod was done to a fair few machines due to very high cost of new blank tapes back in the day. If it meant getting a 4 hour recording on a two hour tape at the cost of a drop in quality then it was deemed worth it. Recordings were not usually kept and the same tape was soon recorded over and over. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 12:18 am
Katie Bush
(@katie-bush)
Famed V-Ratter Moderator

@jcdaze

Oh aye, I remember paying around £27 per cassette for LVC150s, not that the 120's were much cheaper (around £25 apiece as I recall). I ran my first N1700 on just five cassettes for a couple of years, but then started accumulating recordings that I wanted to keep, so eventually ended up buying some more. I finished up with two N1702s and three N1700's which I kept in regular service until 1995. I still have all of of the cassettes, and now have 5 1700s, and 5 1702s, though sadly, some aren't up to much these days. I do, however, want to recover and digitise a fair few of my old recordings, Like "Home From The Sea" the live broadcast of the return and "paying off" (decommissioning) of HMS Ark Royal at Portsmouth, or an episode of "Once In A lifetime" about the shrimp fishermen of Morcambe Bay, the very last ever Bing Crosby Christmas show "Bing Crosby - The Christmas Years" which was made in tribute to him in the year he died. All in all, about fifty cassettes, but I don't expect to be able to save them all, but once I have a machine restored and running again, I'll be baking the tapes, two or three at a time and viewing/recording (to HDD-PVR) all that remain playable after twenty years or so of imperfect storage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 12:44 am
jcdaze liked
Cathovisor
(@cathovisor)
Illustrious V-Ratter Registered

I certainly remember a very involved mod to the N1500 machines to turn them into something akin to a 1700 being run in Television magazine, which involved turning the capstan down and (I think) introducing skip-field operation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 12:04 pm
turretslug
(@turretslug)
Reputable V-Ratter Registered
Posted by: @cathovisor

I certainly remember a very involved mod to the N1500 machines to turn them into something akin to a 1700 being run in Television magazine, which involved turning the capstan down and (I think) introducing skip-field operation.

Lol, I recall that too, by John de Rivaz. A quick search on that name is, um, <interesting>.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2020 12:33 pm
Page 2 / 2