Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Where's the 405 Brigade gone?
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
July 10, 2017
10:28 am
Cathovisor
Engineers

Moderators
Level 11
Forum Posts: 918
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

An earlier console version - the 841T - was in the custody of the man behind the Dinosaur, but now resides at the Wireless Museum in Dulwich.

My last surplus Bush TV1 set off to its new home here on Saturday.

To know yet to think that one does not know is best; not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty. Lao Tzu
July 10, 2017
12:55 pm
marc
Engineers
Level 5
Forum Posts: 533
42sp_Permalink sp_Print

Cathovisor said

My last surplus Bush TV1 set off to its new home here on Saturday.  

Well it's certainly found a fascinating home to say the least !

Marc.

July 10, 2017
9:09 pm
sideband
Engineers

Moderators
Level 11
Forum Posts: 254
43sp_Permalink sp_Print

My strange sense of humour....'My last surplus Bush TV1 set off for its new home here on Saturday.....'. You mean it set off on it's own? Mental picture of Bush TV thumbing a lift.......

July 12, 2017
12:52 pm
sideband
Engineers

Moderators
Level 11
Forum Posts: 254
44sp_Permalink sp_Print

marc said

Good luck with your 941 hunt.

Marc  

The last one I saw was on eBay about a year ago but ended up going for silly money. Fond memories of the 941 we had in the mid-late 50's (although I didn't know it was a 941 then of course). My brother (who was in the trade) brought home a converter and it sat on top of the TV so that we could watch the 'new' ITA channel (1956 so I would have been about 4). The signal from BBC was so strong that it caused severe cross-mod with ITA and we had herring bone patterning. When I started school I was very proud of the fact that I could watch Popeye and a lot of my friends started to ask if they could come round and watch it. The herring bone pattern didn't bother us at all and neither did the fact that you could sometimes see the BBC logo floating in the background of ITA...... Eventually my brother sorted it out by using better screened leads and an attenuator (so I'm told).

One thing that really stands out in my memory...the day he brought the converter home and set it up. We were amazed at being able to see the 'new channel' but then we saw our first commercial...a toothpaste advert for Pepsodent. We just thought it was funny...commercials were something completely new to us since everything was BBC orientated otherwise. I still remember the jingle that went with it....' You wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent'....I'd love to find some of those early commercials.

July 12, 2017
1:21 pm
Chris
County Durham
Admin
Level 11
Forum Posts: 1412
45sp_Permalink sp_Print

sideband said

I still remember the jingle that went with it....' You wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent'....I'd love to find some of those early commercials.  

July 12, 2017
1:58 pm
nuvistor
Engineers
Level 7
Forum Posts: 867
46sp_Permalink sp_Print

We had a HMV BBC only TV bought in 1953 to watch the Coronation, transmitter was Holme Moss Ch 2 about 30 miles away but a good signal. ITV started from Winter Hill on Ch 9 in 1956 about 8 miles away. 

We used a Stirling converter to receive ITV, due to the different signal strengths we didn't suffer the patterns etc that could occur and had good pictures. This TV was replaced by a Bush in around 1958.

Frank

July 22, 2017
4:12 pm
ntscuser
Engineers
Level 3
Forum Posts: 182
47sp_Permalink sp_Print

Focusdiode said
I believe they were 25" Pye models too. I remember seeing one in use in the '70s(sure it was a Pye, not 100% sure though).

Quite likely as Dynatron sold them in period-style cabinets and they were fitted with the Pye chassis. The Dynatrons had a beefed-up sound stage, sealed speaker enclosure and optional remote control. Prices started at 157gns though so I don't imagine they sold very many.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 49

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today None
Upcoming None

Top Posters: