Radio Rentals

Notify of
guest

28 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Guest
11 months ago

Did you ever come across Roly Brown , he was shop Manager from the Early 60s Croydon, Then Reigate, I last met him in the Ramsgate Kent Branch mid 90s. Really Great Guy.

Nuvistor
Member
11 months ago

It’s interesting to note how the brands market their technical know how.

Radio Rentals make their own.
Pye make the transmitters
RBM heavily involved with the BBC in design.

I am sure other makes did the same.

All true, they were just highlighting the items that they think will persuade the buyer, nothing wrong with that, I just find it interesting.

Can’t help with the Croydon Branch but I did know a couple of engineers in the Wigan area, long since lost touch and forgotten their names.

EmleyMoor
Member
4 months ago

They list a dual standard 22″ model, the 711. There weren’t many 22″ DS around at all – was this their own or badge engineering?

Rex Julian Smith
Rex Julian Smith
Guest
4 months ago

Would like to resurrect contact with former colleagues from Multibroadcast and Radio Rentals from Burton upon Trent and Leicester area.
Regards
Rex Smith

Peter Pipkin
Peter Pipkin
Guest
4 months ago

I worked for Radio Rentals 1980’s – 90’s. Field Tech and various management roles . To the best of my knowledge RR didn’t make any televisions. They were badged products from other makers. Predominately Ferguson from 70’s up to the closure of Multi Broadcast, Rumbelows and DER showrooms and merged into Radio Rentals. The service and installation was rebranded Thorn Homeserve. They also at this time reduced their dependancy on Ferguson branded product and bought in other brands. Grundig, Amstrad, Sanyo to name but a few.

Brian George
Brian George
Guest
3 months ago

I lived at Hemel Hempstead, Fareham House in Marlowes and had a black and white Radio Rentals TV set. Large one. I transferred my job to London in 1976 and asked Radio Rentals to transfer the TV to my flat in London. They did this about three weeks after I moved.
I still remember the old fashioned look the delivery man gave me, turning up at my flat in St Marylebone, Lisson Green Estate, and asking me if I knew anything about a TV set that I had ordered.

Loses a lot in the translation, but his face was a treat as he walked in with this great big TV and plonked it down!

mark
mark
Guest
2 months ago

My dad worked for radio rentals in muswell hill. We always had a household stocked with various gear on loan or trial. Miss the huge wood grained Baird TVs with the built in modem for prestel. We had that on trial for a bit as they wanted feedback on the service. Was always interesting growing up around av equipment.

Steve Jackson
Steve Jackson
Guest
1 month ago

Hi, Many thanks for Radio Rentals Brochure you uploaded, I have a small question that you might be able to help me with. On the brochure it shows a Baird TV model number 8736, I had a model similar to this but it had rounded corners, it didn’t have doors, but had a sliding door and it was teak in colour. It was almost exactly like the one in your brochure but not 100%. Do you know what the model number of my TV would have been? Many thanks for your help. Best wishes Steve

Jayceebee
Member
1 month ago

Hi Steve, the set you are describing could have been one of four models having similar styling.

8132 22” CRT, full Infrared remote control but no Teletext
8133 as above with Teletext
8142 and 8143 are the 26” versions of the above.

Hope this helps.
John.

Jayceebee
Member
1 month ago

Picture in this thread of the DER version, model 5133. https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/community/black-white-tvs/thorn-9650/

The foam over the loudspeakers replaced with wood on the RR versions.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x